2 months old...How much should?

a two month old be eating during the day, like at each feeding? I usually only nurse from the breast, but since she is now old enough that I can leave her with my mother for short periods, I'd like to know how much I should pump and store for her. So how much is typical for a LO to eat. Also how much should she be sleeping in a 24 hour period? And does anyone go by schedules? I'd like to try to get her on some type of schedule during the next few months... if that's possible, lol!

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 2:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 2 months I think my son would take 3-4 oz at a time when he would get a bottle... but like your Daughter was primarily breastfed.
    He would eat every 2-3 hours
    I don't remember how much he slept at that age... I think the longest he would be up at a time was 2 hours and naps were about 90 minutes long. He slepts about 8 hours at night (but doesn't anymore :( I wish he would!)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• MY baby is about 11 weeks and he eats about 4-5 ounces every two to three hours. we dont really have a schedule during the day so much but our nighttime routine is bath at 8;30 lotion and pj's and then we cuddle for about 45 minutes give him a bottle and he goes to sleep easliy (most nights). he sleeps anywhere from 5-8 hours and then eats and sleeps again for about another 3. I usually try to let him sleep in the day as much as he wants, you can usually tell when they are tired by their fussing and rubbing their eyes. Hope this helps!
    Mgirly84

Answer by Mgirly84 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• it's generally encouraged to offer baby 2 to 4 oz of pumped or expressed milk at a time.
    you can always offer more if baby is still hungry after taking the 2 oz and that way the unused amount from a larger bottle won't go to waste. the total amount of ounces left will of course depend on how long you will be away from her.

i don't do schedules but i'm sure some other moms can help you with that. we like kind of go with the flow--feed on demand and follow baby's cues and that will let you know what she needs.
    good luck!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I'd say to make sure you have 4oz to start with and then adjust as necessary. Maybe give it a try before you actually leave her so you will know for sure how much to leave.

Mine were formula fed, but took 8oz ever 2 hours.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My son is 2 months old and has been sleeping through the night . Sometimes he'll get up once to feed. He usually falls asleep around 10 and sleeps until 8. He gets up and eats and then wants to sleep again so he'll sleep from around 9 or 10 to about 11 or 12. Then he takes another 2 hour nap around 2PM until 4PM (lets me get dinner ready!). If he is really tired during non-nap times, I let him sleep. He might be going through a growth spurt, so despite nap times, I do let him sleep-on-demand when he wants. He feeds on-demand, it is about every two hours. How long does he feed per breast per feeding session? Pump your breast as such and see how much you get. Your son determines how much milk is in your breast based on what he eats regularly. That is how much I would bottle feed him. Make a couple servings just in case and let grandma know to give him more if he still acts hungry afterward.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• my baby is 10 weeks and eats 8 oz ever 2 hrs the dr said that was normal for my son cause he is 14 lbs and he sleeps 12 hr out night withoug waking for a bottle
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Well as long as your nursing, dont plan on any type of schedule lol. Sorry :( a routine is best, a FLEXIBLE routine(naptime and bedtime and playtime routines), and always always nurse on demand(it will kill your supply if you dont).

As far as how much milk she needs while your gone, go for about an ounce an hour, but I would also have a little extra just in case that wasnt enough for her.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 7:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• oh AND, a pump is never an indicator of supply, so much more likely than not, you produce MUCH more than you'll be able to pump. Pumping is dull work, lol!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 7:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i would by the 2 oz bottles and pump into that..that way if shes not that hungry and just wants a quick drink you didnt heat up and waste a whole 4 oz bottle. just pump 2 oz for every 2 hrs your gone.thats what i do when i go out.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 12:25 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Typically the rule of thumb is in a 24 hour period a baby should be consuming an average of 2-2.5 oz for every pound of weight. So if you baby is say 9 lbs she needs about 18-22.5 oz a day. At an average of 5-6 feeds a day. So about 3.5-4 oz each feed. At two months they sleep 15-16 hours a day.
    Galinash

Answer by Galinash at 10:37 AM on Jan. 27, 2009