We have a home dated 1806 with beautiful wooden banisters. They have paint that was splattered on them when the ceiling was painted some time ago. They are not painted themselves. How can I clean the paint from them?

Asked by joyce419 at 4:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2012 in Home & Garden

• I would think mineral spirits or paint thinner but before you do anything contact a mom and pop ( not home depot no one will help you ) and ask their opinion. Also spot check in an inconspicuous spot.

Answer by Farrahann at 4:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2012

• ** mom and pop hardware store. Got ahead of myself.

• a light touch of paint thinner

Answer by meooma at 4:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2012

• I'm in agreement with Farahann, go to a privately-owned hardware store, and ask for advice.

Answer by SWasson at 4:57 PM on Apr. 24, 2012

• BTW I'm jealous of your banisters.

Answer by Farrahann at 5:01 PM on Apr. 24, 2012

• I imagine you would have to strip them totally down and re-varnish the entire thing.

Answer by tasches at 8:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2012

• Murphy's Oil Soap, a rough washcloth, and some patience. I've cleaned woodwork and hardwood floors with it. Take your time so you don't ruin the stain or lift any varnish.

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:50 AM on Apr. 25, 2012

• don't strip them it will devalue them mineral sprits should do the trick and still protect them

Answer by booklover545 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2012