When choosing not to vax.

My daughter is 13 months old. Her last set of shots was at her 9 month check-up. After this set of shots she was horribly sick and hospitalized. They tell me it had nothing to do with the shots but I find it hard to beleive that I go in to get her shots and she is happy and healthy and then 3 hours later she is burning up and having horrible diarehia and vomiting. But maybe that is just my opinion, I think it had something to do with the shots. So now, I am choosing to stop vaxing all together. How do you go about this? How can she get in school without them? What do I tell her doctor?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It probably had everything to do with the shots. My daughter had a horrible reaction to her 2 and 4 month shots so we just stopped vaccinating.. Look up the waivers in your state, all states have exemptions for schools so you just fill that out and get it notarized.

As for the doctor, if he doesn't think vaccines had anything to do with your daughter getting sick he will probably fight you and tell you what you are doing is wrong. so you can always get your medical records and find a new pediatrician.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• it might have had to do with the fact that you were at the dr's office and she picked something up there.
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 2:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I told my doctors that I have decided not to vax anymore due to our personal preferance. I explained that I didn't expect them to agree, just respect my right to choose as a parent. It took me a while to find the right doctor. I was told I wouldn't been seen by one doctor and a couple others just wanted to argue but our current ped is very good about it.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Sent too soon....most states have exemptions. The only two that don't have either religious or philosophical exemptions are Mississippi and West Virginia.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Maybe you should consider delayed vaccination schedules. I agree that she probably picked up a virus at the doctor's office. However, I would just hate for her to not get vaccines all together and then end up seriously ill with measles or something even worse. Measles is on the rise because so many people are not getting vaccinated any more.

either way, I wish you the best. I just wanted to throw that option out there so your child will be protected but not have all the shots at one time.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:55 AM on Jan. 27, 2009