I need some help please??? what would cause a 17 month old to start waking up in the middle of night ???

we have gone through the CIO method several times and it does work. But after a couple of months of our 17 month old sleeping through the night, she has suddenly stopped. She plays for a little bit, and then starts crying like something has really freaked her out. Could it be separation anxiety , teething or just a case of plain old spoildness??? if i go in and check on her and then leave her she just starts wailing, and the same thing if my husband goes in. We are running out of options and are in serious need of some advise. So please if there is anyone out there that has gone through this, PLEAAAAASSSSEEE HELP US OUT.

emmy79

Asked by emmy79 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I also have a 17 month old and he was doing this until we got himea stuffed animal to sleep with. It don't have to be big. Now he carries it everywhere with him. I think it gives them security. It also could be teething. Hope something works for you!!:)
    lmoots

Answer by lmoots at 2:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• When my daughter starts waking up screaming in the middle of the night, that's my signal to see if she has an ear infection. Ear infections hurt worse at night when they are lying down. Teething could be causing it too. We went through a period of night terrors at this age, too, unfortunately.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• the way a one year old feels alone in a dark room in the middle of the night has nothing to do with being spoiled. Children have emotional needs too. Sometimes this involve needed physical contact. I have heard several moms talk about their child doing this. sometimes around this age, sometimes a different age. It seems to me that the waking may be due to some developmental thing they are going through. Teething could definitely do it. you can't make her stay asleep so you can let her cry, stay with her and comfort her until she goes back to sleep, or let her snuggle next to you in your bed. I don't recommend the first one. #2 would be best if your main concern is keeping her in her bed. #3would be best if your main concern is everyone getting some sleep.

AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 3:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Oh, if she is teething try teething tabs. they are great!
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 3:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• my son did that only when he was teething, ofcours we only knew that after the teeth come out, so now Iknow when he wakes up at nights he's teething, also you can see if he's crancky during the day, but if it's just at night then try things like stuffed animals, and a small lite, I usually put on a chest next to him couple of his favorite books like goodnite moon, and a sippy cup with some water, he learned that if he wake up in the middle of the night he's on his own.
    my problem is putting him to bed, I have to rock him to sleep, so these techniques only work for him in the middle of the night not the biginning.
    Shaima78

Answer by Shaima78 at 10:11 AM on Jan. 27, 2009