Please

If you're GBS positive, in your urine, does that mean the infection has already passed to the fetus?!

34wks today.

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no. I answered earlier and told you that I was positive for group b strep and my daughter was just fine. My labor went much too fast and I didn't even have time for antibiotics during labor to help prevent transmission to her and she is just fine.... You are causing yourself too much stress. Call the doctor so they can tell you that you can relax if that will help.
    crazybeautifulh

Answer by crazybeautifulh at 2:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• you didn't tell me if you were positive genitally or in your urine, thats what i'm asking................. thanks.
    Cowbell88

Answer by Cowbell88 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• not necessarily... check with your dr though.. they will probably put you on antibiotics..
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 2:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I tested positive is all I remember. My daughter is 5 now so it's been long enough I don't remember which way they tested. I DO remember them saying that they were worried about not being able to get the IV started early enough because I was positive at 30 weeks when my doc did the test. I'm pretty sure it was when he checked for protein spill into my urine tho, because I had gestational diabetes also...
    crazybeautifulh

Answer by crazybeautifulh at 2:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• wont matter either way they just give you a antibiotic through your IV. Iv never tested positive but my SIL did her baby is fine they just gave her a antibiotic. However according to my dr once you test positive you more then likely always will for every pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• well with my last post, most people gave me answers, but one said she had strep in her urine, which automatically meant that it was in the fluid so i'm just curious...anybody have strep in their urine ?
    Cowbell88

Answer by Cowbell88 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• It's just two different ways of diagnosing the same thing. The treatment is the same, and it doesn't pass to the baby in utero. The virus can't get through the placenta.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• like riotgrrl said the virus is only passed during delivery and every dr has a different way of diagnosing the virus some do a vaginal exam others just use a urine test. Treatment will be the same regardless of which test he used. Its not that seriouse really many many women test positive for this. it just means your a carrier.
    Anonymous

• I had it in my urine both pregnancies, and all I need for this delivery is the antibiotics in an IV and everything will go as smoothly as last time...if you are still concerned I'd talk about it with your dr because they'll know the most about the subject.
    Domzmom2005

Answer by Domzmom2005 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2009