What books do you read to your toddlers?

My daughter loves The Pegion series by Mo Willems, but the other day to get myself some alone reading time I was reading "Othello". That was Friday and she hasn't let me read it by myself. I have to read it to her. =[.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You know in the kids area of Barnes and Nobles where they have the stuffed animals ( not the regluar rack, but the one with the ones from kids books) I saw the pigeon from those books. Great Vday idea for your little one !!! I thought it was so cute.

My daughter wants us to read any book...but she really likes those "early reader" ones. The ones with the short rhyming words. She likes to memorize it and then "read" it back. She can't read though but it's cute !!!
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 3:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Ohh. I didn't know that Sylvia Plath has a childrens book. What's it called? I was just really surprised she wants me to read "Othello" to her. I'm glad to know she's going to be a reader though. =D
    Anonymous

• DS(6) and DD(3) both like when I read to them from whatever book I'm reading at the time. DS still likes Laura Numeroff(If you give a pig...series etc) so does dd. Curios George, Chronicles of Narnia, Spiderwick Chronicles, Grimm Fairy Tales, Mary Malloy (Niki Daly) Cat in the Hat, anything by Kevin Henkes. We have literally 100 or more kids books, from board books with no words to 3 & 4th grade fiction(for ds). If I had to pick their favorites, those would top the list.
    ninipanini

Answer by ninipanini at 4:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My daughter is 3 and I read her almost anything she asks me to read to her. Luckily she likes kids books, but not baby books. She owns alot of Eric Carle, Bernstein Bears, Little Critter, Biscuit, Tinkerbell, Dr. Suess, Disney, Goodnight Moon, etc. Even at the library we are out of the baby section and on to the next level. Even stuff that some ppl would think would be too long or too hard for her to get, I still get them. She has a great capacity to sit still and listen to a story.

Experts also say that it doesn't matter what you read to your children...........it can be the newspaper, your books, your magazines, or the cereal box! As long as you read to them regularly (15 min a day since birth!) and just hearing the sound of your voice, hearing the language and the way the sounds go together is wonderful for their brain and seeing the printed word and start recognizing letters, etc. Keep up the good work!!
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 6:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• my ds loves go dogs go and cloudy with a chance of meatballs
    krazymami028

Answer by krazymami028 at 12:12 AM on Jan. 27, 2009