My 7-year-old behavior stinks. What should I do??

My 7-year-old wrote on my computer "mom is stoopid" - translate "mom is stupid". He calls me lazy and always yells at me that I'm wasting his time when I ask him to do something. I feel like I need to correct his disrespectful behavior. My husband thinks he's just being 7 and I'm blowing it out of porportion. What do you think?

cmo313

Asked by cmo313 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does he get any attention, like one on one time with you or his dad to play without any interruptions? That's really important to a kid to behave well.
    Anonymous

• discipline is the key to raising well behaved children.
    Anonymous

• I think that is rude behavior. I would sit with your son and tell him you do not like him saying those things about this Mommy. Ask him if he would like it if you spoke to him that way; hopefully he says no! Tell him we need to try to be kind to others and treat them the way we would like to be treated. I am also surprised your husband hasn't said anything to him about his behavior. (My DH would not be happy.) I would also investigate what is going on at school. Are there problems with the teacher, the other kids, etc.? is he doing this at school? maybe he is having trouble communicating his wants and needs and putting other people down is a lot easier than looking at yourself.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2009