Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If my 18 yr old hurts someone at my house, am I resposable for the damage she causes?

She is a special needs that has been dx with bipolar,adhd,odd,bd,ptsd,pdd and more. Since she turned 18 in May, she has become violant towards me and I'm afraid she will lash out at others.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

Answers (7)
  • u might only bcuz she is under your supervision..however she is considered an adult and if the damage was done intetional then she might be held liable!...u should seek help ASAP to avoid a tragedy!! I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK!! Contact me if u need 2 talk!! I'm here 4 u!!

    Answer by JulieFrancesca at 5:41 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

  • Your house. Your liability. She can still be charged legally if an assault is committed but if she pushes someone down on your property and they break a leg your insurance would have to pay for with that said...that's my opinion. I'm not a lawyer so call your insurance company and ask them. I know if a burglar gets hurt on your property you are still liable for their injuries.

    Answer by admckenzie at 8:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

  • I think asmckenzie's suggestion was good, and I'd like to add that whenever anyone comes over, that they be aware of things to do or not to do and why.


    Answer by TXdanielly at 8:26 PM on Jul. 21, 2008

  • Your daughter is liable shes an adult

    Answer by Reba06 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 22, 2008

  • I have bipolar, ptsd and pdd. I'm not "special needs" and doubt your daughter is. She causes damage, she is responsible for it. If she is so violent you need to get her to a treatment center. Also, with so many diagnoses I would be worried she is fishing for drugs.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2008

  • It depends on the laws in your area. She is 18 she knows the difference between what is right and what is wrong, so she would be responsible!  Also, if she pays rent-that totally takes the focus off you since she has legal standing in the house as well.  Someone can always ASK you to pay for injuries on your property but then your insurance company would be there to help you fight the allegations. 

    Also, there are new disorders out there call "Impulse Control Disorder" one of them is labeled as "Intermittent Explosive Disorder" and basically means that she cannot control certain outbursts of behaviors-often clasified by violent outbursts that are disproportionate to the event that "set her off."  If you have any concerns like this-call local law enforcement or your local mental health agency and they can help refer you to the help you and your daughter need!


    Answer by Tricia19 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 24, 2008

  • okay, here goes. My son has the folowing diagnoses: ADHD, Bipolar, PTSD, ODD, TBI, Seizures, ICD, IED, and more. He was extremely violent and this is what we had to do in order to get him the help he needs and to develop the skills needed to function in society:

    1. Take her to a psychiatrist and have a full evaluation done.
    2. Get her medication levels checked and double check the meds she is on to be sure that they do not contradict one another and that they are really for his conditions.
    3. Intense psychotherapy as well as in home remedial services and even respite care.

    if you do not see improvement within a couple of weeks, she may need inpatient evaluation and treatment for a while.

    remember you are not alone!

    If you need to talk or further advice, contact me.

    Answer by aliciatakescare at 3:31 PM on Jul. 26, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.