When did your child start actually talking and using real words?

My daughter is 19 months now and she only says maybe one or two actual words...everything else is blabbering. Is she slow or is this normal still at this age? I run into alot of other Mom's with the same age and they are talking away with tons of words you can understand! I just wanted to see if she was the only one not talking yet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Doctors like to have them say about 10 words at 18 months, 50 words and small phrases at 2 years.

I had one who was carrying on full conversations at 18 months, one who just finally started talking at about 18months (...maybe closer to 15?) and one who finally said his first real word at 22 months.

Guidelines are just that...guidelines...Just be aware of what she's doing and bring it up to the doctor at your next visit.

Label everything and try to get her repeat...simple phrases for her, but not baby talk. I don't think (based on what I know from my boys) she's really delayed right now...she is saying a couple of words and babbling. As long as she is understanding what you say...keep an eye (ear?) on it but I wouldn't worry about it right now...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• well my son who's 20 month old only say the biginning of the words, like ha for hair, baya for baby, and doya for dog or teddy, and no sentinces, I'm not very concerned about it, they will eventually get it, because they started talking so they will come around and will get there.
    also toddlers who listen to more than one language they do get confused but they will get it later than others. just focus on your child and don't read the guidlinesas if they were the rules
    good luck to all of us mommies
    Shaima78

Answer by Shaima78 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 27, 2009