My daughter...

Refuses to talk. Seriously, she doesn't talk at all 3 words maybe...((she just turned 2)) She doesn't repeat what I'm saying, Or sit down to read a book, I know shes VERY VERY smart... But Why wont she talk... And suggestions?

TheTara

Asked by TheTara at 3:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What does your pediatrician say?

How is she around other children?

Does she behave different with other adults?

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My son did not talk at all until he turned 2. By 2.5, he said maybe 5 words and he didn't say momma or dadda until then. Being that she never talked, its not as alarming, but ask the doc about it. Usually if they are progressing, they don't reccomend you do anything. Does she suck a pacifier? That can hinder the desire to talk. It may be that she doesn't have anything to say, but I would still ask the doc.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 4:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I didn't talk till i was 3 almost 4. They were a week away fro the children's hospitial appt. when i decided to say "moma look what i can do" ( i had a sesame st. swing set & climbed to the top ) 1. they freaked to get me down. 2. they started asking me stuff to see if i talked back. I did. lol my mom says since i have never shut up! Every kid is different. My son's 14 month and talk's non stop. some babble , but he get's to the point. talk to the ped. If the dr is concerned then take action. good luck!
    Star8283

Answer by Star8283 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i wouldn't worry unless you notice it being hard to communicate in other ways also. my pediatrician tried to tell me i should be worried about my 18 month old not saying 8 words... but i have way too much experience with kids this age to get paranoid and start taking him to some expensive specialist. if your daughter is communicating with gestures, understands when you ask her to do something and is physically where she should be at that age, i really wouldn't get too worried about it. it's true, every child developes differently. i also didn't speak until i was 2. they worry nowadays with autism, because those are the first things you'll notice at ages 18m-2, but again, if there's no question that she's communicating and making eye contact, your child is not autistic, so you don't need to worry yourself
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 6:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• u should think about her medical history. did she have several ear infections growing up? does she make eye contact, cuddle? does she use motions to ask for things? my dd has lots of ear infections. and didnt tlk hardly at all until recently. then we couldnt understand her. but now she is in therapy and making much progress. if u are really concerned i would take her to a dr to get his oppinion.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 7:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2009