No peanut butter?

My daughter is 11 months old and will be 1 on the 7th of Feb. I just read that babies under 2 are not allowed to have peanut butter, but it didn't say why? i give my daughter peanut butter all the time, why is she not allowed to have it, should i stop giving it to her??

Trinity32188

Asked by Trinity32188 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The urge you not to give any child under 1 peanuts or tree nuts in general due to the high allergens associated with them. If she has no reaction then there is no harm nor fowl.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 3:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• well i gave my daughter some peanut butter at that age she didn't eat it all the time though and right now or at least last week there is arecall on peanut butter because of siminella (sp)
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i know about the recall i just have a jar that is half gone and we are all ok, so i think that this jar is safe, after this jar is gone i wont get any more, i am just wondering why she can't have it besides the new recall
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• well cuz of choking and allergies alot of lil ones are allergic to nuts i know both my nephews are. but yea the peanut butter you already have should be fine
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• It is allergies that they worry about. I was cautious the first few times I gave them Peanut Butter (or any nuts) but once I realized that mine were fine, they eat it anytime now.
    I wouldn't worry if they already have eaten it and been fine.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• they say its cause its easier for small children to develop peanut allergies, but i gave it to all my kids at the age one
    Anonymous