Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No Peanut Butter?

My daughter is 11 months old and will be 1 on the 7th of Feb. I just read that babies under 2 are not allowed to have peanut butter, but it didn't say why? i give my daughter peanut butter all the time, why is she not allowed to have it, should i stop giving it to her??


Asked by Trinity32188 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • A thin layer of PB on bread isn't going to cause a choking hazard and being that shes already had it for awhile is probably a sign that shes not allergic. I think they like you to wait so that you can assure no allergies. I have heard that if you give PB to a child early then the chances of an allergy go up, but I don't think I believe that. I think if you are allergic, then you are, no matter how old. I have no basis for that other than my own experience.

    Answer by momofsaee at 4:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • umm no one is to be eating peanut butter right now there is a major recall

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • well i know that but i have a jar that is half gone and none us is sick so it should be fine :)

    Answer by Trinity32188 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • As far as the recall goes, jars of PB are ok, its things like snack crackers, snack cake etc that should be thrown out. I have never heard that children under 2 can't have PB.

    Answer by musikdoll at 3:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • It's not recommended for kids under 2 because it's a choking hazard. It you put the peanut butter REALLY thin on some bread or crackers it'll be fine. Just be sure to watch for signs of peanut allergy.

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • The recall isn't for jars of peanut butter, it 's for industrial peanut butter used in other products.

    My guys have all been eating peanut butter since they were just under a year old. We have no family allergies to foods, especially peanuts, so the doctor was okay with us giving it.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • It's not because it's a choking hazard, although that is a problem too. Peanut allergies are one of the most common and can be very serious. If a child under the age of two has a reaction it can be more serious, and often time deadly. Also, if they start having a reaction, they can't really tell you about it and by the time they start having visible signs of the reaction, alot of damage has been done. If your child has been eating peanut butter and hasn't had a reaction, she is probably fine, but I wouldn't give it very often and I would definitely talk to your doctor about it.

    Answer by Rebecca7708 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • If you have a family history of food allergies, then you are supposed to wait.
    If you don't have a history then you don't need to wait.
    Since she has already had it just fine, don't worry about it. Keep it thin and light so it doesn't pose a choking hazard and let her enjoy.

    Answer by kaycee14 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • peanuts have become a high allergy food, I am thinking thats why they are saying no one under 2

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • Our Dr advised against PB unitl our son was 3. He had eczema as a baby. Eczema, food allergies & asthma are all linked.

    Answer by juliemoose at 3:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2009