How old should a kid be to walk to and from school by themselves?

The school is about 1/2 mile away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm wondering this as well...
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I wouldn't let my kids walk anyplace by themselves (we homeschool so no worries there!). When I was growing up I started walking myself to school everyday in the first grade and school was about a mile away.

I think it depends a lot on the area you live in and the traffic.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i think it depends on the area
    007wifey

Answer by 007wifey at 3:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• 20 or 30... hahaha.. i woudl be so worried in this day and age!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 3:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My kids were never allowed to walk back and forth without a buddy or group of kids. In this day in age its too dangerous. With a buddy they were around 13.

Answer by gemgem at 3:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• We live by an elementary school and a lot of kids walk home. I just can't tell how old they are. Well, at oldest 6th grade of course! I'd let my kids walk home in our neighborhood.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• It depends on where you live. There are tons of children walking home in my neighborhood.
    MomnVa

Answer by MomnVa at 3:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Alone, never. I walked to and from school during elementry, middle, and high school.. but was with my sister, or friends. high school was the only time I walked alone but it was a 10 min walk lol..

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I would base it on the area and specific situation. My kids do not get out of my sight, but we do live next door to their school and they walk to me. They come out of the right side of the school after signing out and the teacher assures they are together, then they walk up the side walk in front of the school and pass another teacher who is assuring they get across the street, then when they get to the end of that sidewalk, I can see them and I watch them cross (there are parents everywhere) into our neighborhood and they come to me. A lot of those kids go ahead and walk home but our neigborhood is fairly small. Those kids are the older ones. Most of the moms walk down and get them.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 4:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Are you kidding? In this day and age I would say around 42. lol No way I am letting my kids out of my sight for 2 mins outside...to risky these days.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2009