Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't people realize Cafe Mom is not a Doctor's office????

I understand this is a great place for advice but some of these questions on here seem like they really need to be addressed by a doctor. It just seems that it would be common sense for some of these women to IMMEDIATELY call their doctors instead of waiting on a million answers from other women on their experiences.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Health

Answers (16)
  • i know i so agree

    Answer by butterscotch297 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • i swear sometimes i want to SCREAM at people!!!

    Answer by VictinaG at 3:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • I completely agree. Plus some of these answers are so far off that you really hope people aren't taking their advice! If I ever make a comment on a health issue, I always put ask your doctor before trying anything!

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • I agree. I'm the type that would freak out and call the Dr before I even thought of getting on here. LOL! I can see talking to people to see if they have had similar issues, but AFTER you talk to the Dr.

    Answer by musikdoll at 3:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • I agree a little there but there are a lot of women that can't afford good healthcare. If there's no real reason for concern it's easier for them to ask for advice from other MOMS that have been there.

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • For minor things I have no problem with women asking for advice, as long as that advice is tempered with their own common sense. As a former nurse though it bugs the crap out of me when people come on here describing alarming symptoms and than asking 'should I call the Dr.?' If you think you should call, follow your instincts damn it! I've asked other moms what they thought of a bump on my daughters leg once, I admit. I had never seen a mosquito bite get that big before, but after showing a photo and doing more research myself I found out toddlers tend to have more exaggerated reactions and it was still within normal limits.

    Answer by wulfbourne at 3:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • Well, just comparing situations or symptoms is a good thing and usually very helpful, but for things that are serious or even SEEM serious, I think a doctor would be your best bet. The 'am I pregnat (note misspelling)' is my fave!...LOL

    Answer by momofsaee at 3:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • Haha I agree 100%.

    I love reading some of the answers to these questions!! If I didn't know any better I would think some of these moms on this site were Doctors:)

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • If I never would have gotten on here and asked other women their opinions on my baby's clogged tear duct, I never would have known to put breast milk in her eye instead of the meds they RX for her. It cleared up over night.

    Answer by Autumn22 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • What I would hope these people are doing is just asking for some input while they have to wait to go see their doctor. They are just looking for others who have experienced the same thing, haven't you ever wanted to feel a sense of normalcy while you waited?

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.