Confused on overnight dog crating

Having trouble finding this specific info online....Dog is 2. Adopted 1 week ago from pound. We woke up several nights to pools of urine around the home. We got a crate for night time. This has eliminated the problem. So, do we night crate him forever? Or just for months/weeks? He is only in the crate at night. I am with him all day and, if I leave, I simply put him in the yard for a an hour or so.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 9:30 AM on Apr. 25, 2012 in Pets

• You kind of have to feel it out... weeks or moths, it really depends on the dog.
    Our dog loved the crate so we'd leave the door open and he'd sleep in there without being told to go in... for about his first year or so.
    You can also crate him when you leave the house - it's safer then leaving him in the yard.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:34 AM on Apr. 25, 2012

• When you crate a dog, to them the crate is their "den." If you start crating him at night, I would continue to do so...or at least leave the crate available to him at night by leaving door open, only removing crate if you know he's not been using it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:36 AM on Apr. 25, 2012

• It seems he's taken well to the crate. He may feel safe in it, so I would continue with it. Maybe one night leave the door open on it and he can go in and out of it, if he pee's then you know to close it at night. Normally I'm not in favor of crates, but being he was at a pound, and might have trust issues, it may be okay for him. Also he's full grown so it won't affect his development. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:37 AM on Apr. 25, 2012

• Dogs are denning animals..crates are a great thing as long as they're not used for punishment...we crated our 2 rescue pit bulls and they loved it! It got to the point where I would say "time to go night night" and they would run upstairs and go in their crate...we didn't even have to close the doors after a while. Anyway, we used them for about a year and a half and it worked wonders :) so it's really up to u...a crate will let u know they are always safe...they can't get a hold of anything that will make them sick, etc...sort of a peace of mind :) good luck and kudos for rescuing a dog :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:34 AM on Apr. 25, 2012

• Our dog is 9 and still uses her crate. It is left open for her to use when ever she wants. She was a rescue and we used the crate in the early years for her benift (nighttime, alone time) and she likes it so much we just leave it for her.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:53 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• I crate my American Bulldog every night. Even before I tell her that it is bedtime, she will go in there and lay down with the door open. She knows that is her bed. She is almost a year old.
    Amanda0712

Answer by Amanda0712 at 2:31 AM on Jun. 13, 2012