GOT A NEW DOG

My hubby got the kids a dog I like him but when he do not want to play he bit.
SHOULD I KEEP HIM??? cause I do not want him to bit the kids

Mz.PhatPhat

Asked by Mz.PhatPhat at 3:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Pets

• no if hes biting id get rid of him
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 3:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Would I keep a biting dog? NO. cant have it biting your kids..........man , tough situation!
    naynkiwismom

Answer by naynkiwismom at 4:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• was it cause he is vicious or cause of the play. i would be concerned. if you don't know how to train the dog it's best you return him or get a trainer asap. it's not a good sign.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• walk him first. biting when freaked out usually means you have an anxious dog. if you are willing to take the time and do research you can train it out of him. but if you don't walk him and/or you don't have the time or patience to do the training, definitely don't keep the dog because he will bite your children unless you let him know biting is not acceptable in your house.
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 6:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I know this sounds insane but someone told me to bite the animal back,cause thats what the pack leader does, I think it sounds insane how about you?
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 8:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Is he doing it as play, or to me mean? If he is doing it as play, then teach him not to play like that. If he is doing it to me agressive, then get rid of him.
    Anonymous

• I agree with MarGee. We did this with our dog.. Actual my daughter did because there was no way I was doing it and he doesn't bite her anymore.
    dancer33

Answer by dancer33 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• In a new situation he may not feel comfortable enough to play. You have to let him get used to his new family in his own time. Do you know his history, have the kids ever been rough with him, or possibly kids from where he was before? if so, most dogs will see themselves above kids in the pack order, training can help. One thing I will not tolerate is kids being mean to my dogs, if they get hurt they have every right to retaliate. Find out why he is doing it, while the kids keep their distance.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 10:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• yeah, i guess im the mean one..but i also have a pit bull...when she was a puppy and she'd get like that i'd go for her throat till she submit..she doesn't do it anymore.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• You train a Pitbull just like any other dog. Roll them to their side or back, hold them there until they relax and submit. You are showing them you are the dominate one in the pack without anger or abuse.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 11:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2009