Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can i help? where do i tell her to look for help?

There is alot of background of this story so before you pass judgement just dont friend called today and said her daughter was beat up again and the cops wont do anything about it. She is homeless and pregnant and right now is in the hosptial having contractions. She isnt due til april. Who can we talk to or get help from? The cops told her to leave and didnt do anything. Just cause she is homeless doesnt mean that she doesnt have rights too....

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (11)
  • Beat up by who? Can you get her into a woman's shelter in her area? Many woman's shelters have strict security measures to help women hide from their abusive partners. Also, the hospital should assign her a social worker...maybe that person can help direct her to help in the area.

    Good Luck

    Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • Youcan go back to the police dept and ask to speak to the watch commander and demand charges be pressed. As for your friend I would make sure shes ok and that she has somewhere to take the baby when she has it. That should be the #1 concern. See if she can go to social services or have you sign for her and get emergency services and get a place to stay with the baby.

    Answer by gemgem at 3:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • She needs to head to a shelter. They would help her find the help that she needs and assist her in getting a job and government assistance to get a place. I can't give you any more help than that because I don't know what city you are in. Turning Point is the local Shelter around here for abused women.

    Answer by lovinangels at 3:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • we live in salem oregon and she has had many other problems leading to where we are now. So if and when the baby comes, the baby will be taken away and protected. Last nights incident was a result of the guy wanted to do damage to the baby but didnt want to do it himself so he had another girl do it. She is in the hopsital now and i hope that they can help her. I just dont know what to tell her mom when she asks what to do. Thanks for the help so far....

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • you can find help and a list of shelters here:

    Answer by heatherama at 4:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • Has it come to this that even pregnant women can get no help from the police? This is sad.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • a womens shelter or cps if she is young enough.

    Answer by Lyndall at 4:23 PM on Jan. 26, 2009


    Answer by QuinnMae at 4:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • Tell her to contact her local welfare office. There are many people who truly do not need assistance and take full advantage of the resources offered. Tell her to contact her local housing agency and get put onto the waiting list. In the meantime have her sign up for welfare, food stamps and Medicaid. At this point it will probably be futile to attempt to obtain employment but after she has given birth go back to the welfare office and see about getting on TANF. Sometimes they can help with job placement and then once she has aquired a job she can get daycare vouchers to help with the cost of child care until she can get on her feet.

    Answer by micrespo at 5:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • I didn't mention it before but a lot of churches have outreach programs as well. She will be in my prayers.

    Answer by lovinangels at 5:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.