• In the Spotlight:

IS IT NORMAL???

Is it normal to lose weight in the first trimester?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I did with my first one and i am now. I think it has to do with being sick all the time. As long as you dont' loose too much weight i'm sure it's ok.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 3:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i hope so because I know I have with this pregnancy. Don't keep a scale in my house so I have no idea how much
    ljliammama

Answer by ljliammama at 4:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Yes it is. Especially if you have had a lot of morning sickness. Your doc will weigh you at every visit and if there is a concern they'll know about if from that. Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Yep. I lost weight too. Your matabolism kicks into high gear when you're prego and your eating habits haven't really changed yet.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 4:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• yes, I did, then I started gaining, I didn't have morning sickness but my doc said everything is fine so..
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 4:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Oh Yes... I weighed 160 the month i conceived. I got nauseus and couldn't eat so i lost a ton of weight - down to 145- I am 16 weeks today and not quite to 150 yet. Thing is since I hardly ate for a few months my stomach shrunk so i don't eat too much.
    My Dr. just nodded and said "yep, that'll do it" and moved on the check the heart beat.

Definitely ask your doctor, I do not know how much is too much, but rest assured you are not alone.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• If you are a little over weight then yes it can be very normal. My good freind was very much on the heavy side, & was at high risk because of her weight. The Dr. helped her choose healthy foods for her & her baby. She stuck with it, she also quit drinking beer. I think those two things combined helped her lose weight during her pregnancy. she litterally lost fat off her body from her pregnancy & gave birth to a 9 lb. Baby. She has now gained it back though. But, yes it's normal if your a lil over weight. If your not, then i would talk to a Dr.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• It is normal! I know a lot of women start to actually eat healthier once they get pregnant which contributes to weight loss. :)
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 4:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Yeah, I lost 22 lbs the first trimester with my first baby. I only lost 6 at the beginning of this pregnancy. As long as the doc says your baby is growing accordingly I wouldnt worry. The weight will come back... trust me:)
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 4:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• yes, I lost up until like 34 weeks w/ my first then only gained 7 lbs. With my second and third I lost the whole pregnancy. Right now I am 15 weeks with baby number 4 and so far I had lost 12 lbs at my 12 weeks appt. As long as you are taking care of your self then you should be fine. I am heavier to start with so my midwife thinks it is ok.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 4:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2009