when is the right time to talk with a child about the birds and the bee's?

well i have a daughter who is only five years old but i have noticed that other girls and boys her age talk about having crushes i have heard my daughter in conversations and she responds by asking .... what a crush is? and looks confused ..what do i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• answer whatever questions she may have. i would wait for the "talk" until she is older and started having questions about it.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• my son is 5 and I have already had the talk with him of course at his age level and this will NOT be the only talk that we have. I would hate for my son to go to school and learn about sex from his other friends. Lord knows what they may know and I don't want no 5 yr old teaching my son what they think they know about sex. I decided I'll get to him b4 someone else will
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 5:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I think that there should be variations on "the talk" right from a young age. When they're 3-4, you should discuss that boys and girls are different and have different parts, etc. You should also discuss who is allowed to touch them in certain places and who is not. When they're a little older you should discuss the things your kids see in movies or in school...i.e. Kissing, hugging, crushes, love, romance, etc. Prior to puberty, you should discuss puberty and the changes that will be happening with their bodies, When they're pre-teens or very young teens, you should have the actual "sex" talk. It doesn't have to be a big deal...just bring it up in every day conversation or in response to her questions. Remember: it is okay to tell your child that you need to think about it and talk with them later (if you can't come up with an age appropriate response in the moment)...then make sure you bring it up again later.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Wow, at age 5, all my kids know is that Daddy has seeds and Mommy has eggs, and you need eggs and seeds to make babies. They are pretty happy with that. As far as a "crush," I think I would say, "Oh, that means when you like someone an awful lot. That is sort of a silly way to say it. What do you think?"
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2009