what is "unschooling"????

please no RUDE answers! ^^

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Google it :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i am pretty sure it means not actively teaching a child: with schedules, specific programs or subjects etc. It's hands off teaching, I think.. I could be wrong.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• You dont use schedules. You let the child lead you more or less. Everything is something to study and if your child shows interest in a particular subject you gear a lesson towards that,etc.

On the site, Unschooling.com, this was part of the definition used...
    "Generally, unschoolers are concerned with learning or becoming educated, not with 'doing school.' The focus is upon the choices made by each individual learner, and those choices can vary according to learning style and personality type. There is no one way to unschool."
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 4:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• It means you let the kids guide you and only teach them things they are interested in. I think it's not a good idea.
    Anonymous

• This is also known as interest driven, child-led, natural, organic, eclectic, or self-directed learning. Lately, the term "unschooling" has come to be associated with the type of homeschooling that doesn't use a fixed curriculum. When pressed, I define unschooling as allowing children as much freedom to learn in the world, as their parents can comfortably bear. The advantage of this method is that it doesn't require you, the parent, to become someone else, i.e. a professional teacher pouring knowledge into child-vessels on a planned basis. Instead you live and learn together, pursuing questions and interests as they arise and using conventional schooling on an "on demand" basis, if at all. This is the way we learn before going to school and the way we learn when we leave school and enter the world of work.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• So, for instance, a young child's interest in hot rods can lead him to a study of how the engine works (science), how and when the car was built (history and business), who built and designed the car (biography), etc. Certainly these interests can lead to reading texts, taking courses, or doing projects, but the important difference is that these activities were chosen and engaged in freely by the learner. They were not dictated to the learner through curricular mandate to be done at a specific time and place, though parents with a more hands-on approach to unschooling certainly can influence and guide their children's choices.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Unschooling, for lack of a better term (until people start to accept living as part and parcel of learning), is the natural way to learn. However, this does not mean unschoolers do not take traditional classes or use curricular materials when the student, or parents and children together, decide that this is how they want to do it. Learning to read or do quadratic equations are not "natural" processes, but unschoolers nonetheless learn them when it makes sense to them to do so, not because they have reached a certain age or are compelled to do so by arbitrary authority.
    ReneeK3

• ReneeK said it pretty well. It's teaching w/o a schedule or set curriculum. There are many, many ways to unschool.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I love Reneek3's answers as well!! Beautifully said. I myself am interested in Unschooling my daughter. Shes 3 and didn't get into preschool this year. I dunno if skipping public school altogether is an ok idea with my husband though. Hes ok with us unschooling til Kindergarden and then seeing where to go from there, and also Unschooling her during the hours shes not in public school and after she gets out of school, etc.

It is the natural way to learn in life. Children are born with a natural desire to learn about the world around them, its a very exciting and intriguing place. But children who end up sitting at a desk in a classroom taking tests and having stuff drilled into their head start to think that learning is a bad thing.......something they don't want to do. I don't want that to happen to my daughter.
    I love to see her eyes light up at the joy of learning and iscovering something new on her own! :)
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 6:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• There is a cafemom group for Unschooling. Look it up on here.
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 6:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2009