Would you be mad if...

your 14 year old daughter came home from a friends house with dyed hair, without first asking your permission to dye it? Would you have allowed her to if she called and asked first? Would it make a difference what color it was? Does your daughter know to ask you these things first? Why do you feel it's important she ask first?

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 10:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• I would be mad at both my daughter and the friends mom who allowed it to happen. My daughter's know to ask me about those things before hand. The girls go to a school that has a fairly strict dress code, including hairb, so yes it is a big deal. Now if it was case that the girls did it and did not ask me because they knew that I would say no, then there would be some big consequences to pay for that.
    Stacy2girlsMom

Answer by Stacy2girlsMom at 3:29 PM on May. 14, 2012

• Any interest that my daughter takes in herself would be an improvement. I may not like it but she is showing some interest in her appearance.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:10 AM on May. 7, 2012

• yes i will talk to her...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 8:57 PM on May. 3, 2012

• Well we have arule about those things so she would need to call first. But the parents allowing that well that would be upseting.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:18 PM on May. 1, 2012

• I am lucky because the school district I live in says that they can't have any "unnatural hair color", any natural hair color wouldn't bother me. Though mine are still little
    loveMYkids5488

Answer by loveMYkids5488 at 7:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2012

• It's her hair. Not mad, just worried about what color. Lol.
    loveandrain94

Answer by loveandrain94 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I'd be irritated but only because its during the school year.
    I've already told the boys they can color their hair the day after school ends.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• Your last question "Why do you feel it's important she ask first?" I didn't have room to address but I think it's important because we're part of a family, it's a fairly significant thing, I hope to be consulted and for my concerns & feelings to be taken seriously, and I would like to have input. I'd also want her to consult me first so she'd know if there was any major factor she wasn't considering.
    I'd want her to hear me out, which would give me a chance to examine/consider my own reactions.
    I am not saying I think the final decision should lie with me, but as her parent, I want to be able to weigh in on significant things (while this would not be permanent, it's a significant & perhaps dramatic change) and share any concerns. Influence is what I'm after, not control.
    I can understand a kid not realizing it would be a big deal, but usually sneaking is about control struggles & I don't want her to feel she "has" to sneak.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2012

• Not at all, it's hair and will grow out. If the worst they do is dye their hair, that's fine by me.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2012

• It is hair; it grows back. A piercing would be a whole different story

Answer by rkoloms at 8:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2012