I know this idea was previously posted in the past two years but would you consider it? adult content

Would you ever consider:

Hiring a wet nurse? AND/OR purchasing somebody else's breast milk?

(-provided they are healthy/disease-free , and can prove it. )

What other regulations/requirements would you put on this?

Why/why not and please state whatever else pertaining to this topic.

Thanks ^_^

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Apr. 26, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• No and no, but only because I have no problems breast feeding and since I can do it I would much rather do it myself. Now if I had issues with it I might consider doing one of the above, but it would depend on if I could afford it and if I could find someone I actually trusted.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:10 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• Yes because I have problems nursing
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:40 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• I'm not sure. I've had problems nursing this time around. I would consider it but would have to see how DH feels about it. People in well-to-do families used to do this, what like, 200 years ago? I'm not opposed to the concept, it would just take some getting used to the idea. I don't think I'd hire a wet-nurse but I'd consider buying breast-milk as long as it could be proven that the provider was eating right and not taking in excess caffeine or taking medications, etc.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 8:57 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• Not sure. Maybe if it was pumped. I wouldnt want another woman doing the most bonding moment with my child.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:18 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• I would be more likely to hire a person to either pump or bf, but I probably wouldn't order breast milk online.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:39 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• I had no need of either and in fact produced so much that I contacted my Dr. about what I could do with the excess. OK after he stopped lauging he directed me to a help service through the hospital. Remember this is over 30 years ago. I had a number of hoops to jump through but my milkwas used in the intensive care for babies who were either being adopted, the mother was unable to nurse or she had died. I had to have a complete head to toe physical 2x a years as long as I supplied and I had to informe them of every tiny illness I had or my own child had. I could be on no medications including asperin etc. I had pecial towelette to wash the area with and special bottles to seal it. I had to go to a class and learn about sanitization and refrigeration etc.
    I was able to bring the bottles to the hospital every day if I chose or they would come every day.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:56 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• I wouldn't, I have a friend who orders milk and it means so much to her. I never knew you could donate milk or I would have, I was a freaking COW, way too much milk.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2012

• No because I breastfeed for 3 reasons: it's best for my baby, convince and it's cheaper. Hiring a wet nurse or buying someone else's milk doesn't seem like a good healthy option, I don't know what this person is putting in their body. It's not any more convenient then formula and it isn't cheaper.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 1:01 AM on Apr. 27, 2012

• If I had been unable to breastfeed myself, I would have considered donor milk from a milk bank, but a wet nurse, no.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 2:18 AM on Apr. 27, 2012

• no, i make a ton. so i dont need to. i also dont think formula is nearly as bad as people paint it to be.... it seems safer than a bodily fluid. even if someone tests safe for HIV - they might still be a carrier that doesnt have high enough levels to show on the tests - as in you dont know for 100% that they care clean ever.... tests are flawed. so i would not buy anyones milk with the option of formula.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:29 AM on Apr. 27, 2012