When did your mother start to treat you like an adult? or When did it stop bothering you that she treats you like a child?

My mother is 69 yo. She is in great health but she and I both realize, she is starting to feel it. I think I have grown personally through the past year so I can handle how she treats me but honestly, it's the fact that she isn't as strong as she used to be that has as much to do with it.

manna1qd

Asked by manna1qd at 6:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Relationships

• Are you the only child or the youngest child? What I have noticed is sometimes parents...especially moms that are over protective and treat their adult kids like kids. The thing is for example..like me I'am the only child and my mom is way overprotective...sometimes I have to get on her to leave me alone and sometimes she gets my drift but othertimes she keeps doing it. I have a friend and she is the youngest of the her sisters and her mom is way over protective on her too and shes an adult so your not the only one that has a mom that does that. The thing that helps me is when I tell my mom how I feel and if she doesn't listen to me I stop talking to her for a while...I can't stand being around her sometimes. It's sad but its the truth.
    businesswife1

Answer by businesswife1 at 7:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• when i was younge my mom never let me out of site untile I was 18 and moved out
    mo-may

Answer by mo-may at 6:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• My relationship with my mom changed when I was 23 or 24. I had a real job in another state and I couldn't go home for Christmas. I think it finally dawned on my mom (and me) that I was an independent adult.
    hk2kids

Answer by hk2kids at 6:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• My mom started treating me like an adult when I moved out at 23. Thats when I started acting like an adult.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 6:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I was always treated like an adult growing up. while she worked I took care of the house and kids, dinner's etc.. now that I am 41 and brought my family here to take care of her and dying husband, she treats me like a child, I guess the M.S doesn't help,, normally I guess anyone would want to B-slap her. it takes all I have not to put her back in her place.. is this what you meant when you asked the question?? my situation is all backwards, and kinda creepy, huh???
    Anonymous

• HAHA i'm 22 and my mom still treast me like i'm a child sometimes i dont think it ever goes away!
    Sweet_nothings

Answer by Sweet_nothings at 8:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• i'm 22 and my mom--who lives in tennessee--still calls me her baby. she won't go to bed at night until she calls me to say goodnight.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 8:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• When I was a senior in high school.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• I am the youngest of 4 kids ( I am 47 yrs old ) My siblings range from 55 to 60.So I was a oops baby. With the big age gap between me & my sister & brother's I pretty much grew up an only kid. My mom always treated as her baby until the day she died 3 yrs ago. Hang on to it everybody. Yes it does get annoying sometimes but, when it's gone ( I mean gone for good not just movin out on your own or anything I mean gone gone) you will want it back even for only 1 minute. I wish I could have that now. I miss it soooo much
    Barb947

Answer by Barb947 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2008

• Exactly... I cherish my mom and I am glad I saw my dad the day before he died seven years ago we are only here for a short time. Everytime my mom tells me something annoying I think to myself at least she is here to annoy me.. I love her so one day she calls me fat the other day she tells me Im to skinny. One day she tells me to leave my husband and the next she says I am not telling you to leave your husband. I was the oops baby to she had me in her late thirties and my siblings are all older than me by like 5 or 10 years. I hope she treats me like this until she is no longer here, or I am not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2008