Reimbursement for government assistance?

Thinking of the child support issue... if you are not working and need government assistance to provide for your children, should you be required to pay a percentage back to the government at some point. Non custodial parents must pay child support... so shouldn't the custodial parent be required to do the same?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Apr. 26, 2012 in Money & Work

• Let's throw another caviate into the discussion...

Non custodial parent busts their butt working hard to earn a decent living. Custodial parent has the same opportunities, but CHOOSES not to and earns just enough to get by. Why is the hard worker required to pay more?

Or the example of a parent remarrying and becoming a SAHP to new spouse and kids? Why should the other parent have to pay more in support because of that? Again I do not see the fairness in this at all?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• So, you married a man with children and he pays child support that you feel is too high and his ex wife doesn't contribute as much as you think she should, correct?

Bottom line is that child support is based on the non-custodial parent's salary and any state guidelines. It doesn't matter if the custodial parent makes a little or a lot; his/her salary isn't pertinent to the discussion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• ^^That was me. I'm not sure why it went anon? Wierd
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 9:53 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• Actually no I have been married to the same man for 16 years and we only have the 2 children we share in common. Neither of us were married before either. I know, odd by today's standards, but some people still like things the "old" way.

I am a social worker though and I see all the assistance people can get and I also see lots of cases where one parent is busting there butt to meet there obligations and then some, while the other parent does little to make a difference.

As for what's pertinent or not, why shouldn't the other persons's income be looked at? Forget the guidelines, try to use your own mind and give me a good reason why the scenarios I have presented are fair.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• In most cases child support isn't equal. In most cases the custodial parent "pays" more money towards the rearing of the child then the non-custodial. Most non-custodial parents feel that since they pay that money their obligation is over, but kids need/want more then just a roof over the head and food in their stomach. They want to do after school activities, sports whatever interest them. Life isn't always fair and in most cases that leaves both sides sometimes having to suck it up.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:16 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• Once agian there are laws about child support,, if you make alot of money you pay alot of support, if you make a little money you pay a little support,, for example in my state 1 child is 25% of the non-custodial parent's income,, so if someone made 2,000 per month they would pay 500 p[er month,, if someone made 10,000 per month they would pay 2,500, the bottom line is the person who is taking care of them has the repsonisbility of doing so,, and if they are not able to make it, they should be allowed to get help,, but in the 10,000 per month case, they wouldn't qualify for help. To me the bottom line is you had the kid, if the person paying the child support feels like they are paying too much (very rare) then they should try for custody, but IMO,, most of the time child support isn't enough to raise a child on.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:55 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• While my Mom was collecting for the 9 mos that she was in school when I was about 6, the state went after my father to have that paid back. They went after him for all of the assistance that my mom got. They state never received their money and neither did my mom (CS). I think it depends on the state.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:04 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• coala they most likely went after your father because he either was behind or not paying child support, if someone is current on their support no state will go after the non-custodial parent for helping out the custodial parent.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:09 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• Anon,, why would it matter about the support at all? It sounds to me like you think that someone who gets help should have to pay it back at some point,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:31 AM on Apr. 26, 2012