How do we know that a Saber-Toothed Tiger had a tan/golden coat?

My son has a new fascination with Saber-Toothed Tigers. This morning he was insisting that they had a black coat because black equals fearless and saber-toothed tigers were fearless. So, I have been doing some research and I did find one article from 1993 that said that they may have actually had a spotted coat (like a leopard). So, how did some one decide that Saber-Toothed Tigers had a tan/golden coat?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 9:52 AM on Apr. 26, 2012 in

• It's possible that they've done genetic studies to pinpoint coat color/type. TBH, I'd have to research it more to figure it out; I'm just not sure.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 9:54 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• Okay, apparently they've found perfectly preserved specimens in tar pits. Ta Da!
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 9:57 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• I had seen the article about the preserved specimens in tar pits and that is where they think it had more of a spotted coat, but then it said until a saber-toothed tiger is found in a glacier that they really won't know what color its coat is.
    JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Apr. 26, 2012

• I think the only one I have seen was on the flintstones.
    Mrs.Elgert

Answer by Mrs.Elgert at 10:15 AM on Apr. 26, 2012