I am sooo aggravated UGH

I have a 6th grader and they have been doing analogies. She brought home a paper where she missed two on. The thing is I checked over her homework before she turned it in and of course to me they were all correct. I am sooo frustrated with her teacher. I believe at least one of them is correct but was counted wrong. What do you think?

Here's the analogy---smile is to chuckle as ______ is to sob.

The choices are a) sadness b) snicker c) tantrum d) weep.
I have had 4 different opinions of what the answer should be and all agree with me. I think it is weep. Am I right or not? So if anyone is good with analogies please help!

SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Asked by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 4:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Sadness. Because weeping is the same as sobbing, where smiling is not chuckling. See?
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 4:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I would have to say because smiling can lead to a chuckle, that sadness can lead to sobbing. Had you not said that weep was wrong, I would've had a hard time choosing between sadness and weep.
    delta27

Answer by delta27 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• snicker is a cruel laugh, a tantrum is a temper tantrum(we all know what that is) weeping and sobbing are the same. sadness leads to sobbiing. Its exactly as delta and srh said. Its more like a process of elimination.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I had the same problem but what my family (brother and sis-in-law, husband and mother) said is that sadness couldn't be it because it is an emotion it is not like an action and I think that weep it not the same as sobbing. I think it is less than sobbing.
    this is what an online dictionary said for sob: 1. to weep with a convulsive catching of the breath and weep's definition: 1. to express grief, sorrow, or any overpowering emotion by shedding tears; shed tears; cry: So, to me they are not the same...I don't know ugh I hate analogies!lol

SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 5:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Man it should have said "frown" then this would be a no brainer. I would guess sadness.
    Anonymous

• I would have chosen "weep" because it's a verb. Smile/weep . . . chuckle/sob. But as I was reading it, I expected one of the choices to be Frown as Anon 5:25 said.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• no wonder i did horrible on my SAT i would have put weeping too i hate analogies lol
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i was thinking weep. so what is the correct answer. did the teacher mark it?
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Sadness
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• No she didn't say but I would assume that the answer although incorrect in my eyes was sadness. I checked on thesaurus.com and they have weep under sob but they don't have sob under weep. Sadness is an emotion not an action so if they would have said happiness is to chuckle as _____ is to sob then yes I would have thought sadness no question but it says smile is to chuckle as ______ is to sob. smile is an action and sadness is an emotion. Not the same so that is why I think (know) it is weep because it is an action word. Sorry I have a hard time accepting when I might be wrong. My mother used to say "Sister, I may not always be right but I am never wrong." LOL
    Anonymous