Released GITMO detainees re-joined Al-Queda and sending videos!??!

So, released detainees are re-affiliating with Al-Queda and returning to fight with terrorist groups.

We're "concerned" and "mitigate the threat they pose", but we're still releasing them?!?

I know there has been plenty of beef and mixed opinions about holding these "prisoners", but with our budget deficit growing and spending on the rise, I would like to know the cost of this 'mitigation' versus keeping them locked up!! Is releasing these "innocent" people, only to follow and remain "at war", REALLY our top priority now?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hZfIcWnHqBz4kQR90lC_pXaHeW4Q

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hZfIcWnHqBz4kQR90lC_pXaHeW4Q

link isn't posting right...sorry, here it is...
    Anonymous

• I said it before and I will say itagain..........We are SO screwed!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• ahh. sometimes I want to bury my head under a rock. There goes my sleep tonight.

At least they went to back to Al-Quaida knowing how good fruit loops are, maybe they will have less hate towards Americans for that. *sarcasm
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Nobody is just letting them run free.You eve n listening what Sec. of Defense is saying. Educate yourself about thing .
    Anonymous

• anon 5:17 - Um, the Defense Department, as of 2 days ago, stated that 61 (or 11%) released detainees have returned to the fight with terrorist organizations. This HIGHLIGHTS the risk involved with TRYING and potentially releasing the remaining 245 prisoners.

educate yourself. Did you even read the link the OP gave?

as for the OPs question - no, I do NOT think that closing this detention camp, moving these terrorists to our soil, and holding costly trials is the right thing to so right now. We have bigger problems than to worry about what to do with bad guys. I think we should be spending our time and money elsewhere. THEN worry about this. But, Obama wants HIS name on the record for closing this within 100 days of his presidency, so that our poor grandkids can ooh and ahh when they are SHARING text books in classes of 100 with 1 miserable, underpaid teacher.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 5:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• if they pose a threat then charge them.
    if we can't charge them we have to release them.
    i'm sorry but you can't just hold someone indefinitely without charging them.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• When U.S. holds them like terrorists and thinks they are bad for U.S . They need to find prison for them in U.S. .
    Even terrorists have rights for trials.

thunderlight Obama wants to close the GITMO in 1 year not in 100 days. So who needs to educate yourself ?
    Anonymous

• thunderlight Obama wants to close the GITMO in 1 year not in 100 days. So who needs to educate yourself ?

i don't think she was stating that it was closing in a hundred days just that he wanted it under way in the first 100 days.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 6:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• thanks for following me, mrssundin.

I am just saying that our priorities are bit backwards. We need to focus brainpower, staffing, and funding elsewhere RIGHT NOW.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 6:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• You know the best thing?? The inmates at Guantanamo Bay have mostly recreational time, and they spend their time doing things like classes in ENGLISH !! Hmmm ... where would such skills come in handy? Perhaps to be promoted to a higher rank in the terrorist groups - because you have the skills needed to get into the US and carry out activities there ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2009