Marriage, baby, work...college?

My husband and I have been married almost a year, I have a one month old son, we both work full time...I want to go back to school in the fall. How? Anyone have any advice on how to accomplish this?

mandylynn19875

Asked by mandylynn19875 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• I was just like you, I went back to school about 5 months ago and its been great. Try online schools because you are able to juggle your home life and school life easly.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• It will be a lot of give and take and you will have to have the support of your husband or you can call it quits now. My situation is that my husband went to work full time and school full time and he will be graduating in May and then go on to graduate school. I told him that I would support him in whatever he wanted to do. I knew it would take some sacrificing but all in all I am happy he is trying to make a better life for us. I think in your situation being the mother it is different and you need to decide if it will be worth sacrificing some things. Like being a newly-wed and having a small child. A lot to think about. What about doing online classes? I know that without the support of your husband it will virtually impossible. Coming from experience.
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 5:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Yikes...good luck to you! I wish I had some meaningful advice!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Currently four months away from my bachelor's-I got married last jan and it has added to my stress because my husband is sole provider- I can't always care for the house like we would like due to classes and work.
    My mom is also working on her bachelor's she has an 8,15, and 25 year old. She works full time and takes two classes at once.
    In both cases a supportive husband is crucial. Figure out how much money you really need to get by- and find out how your husband feels about taking on some of your household chorse (and I'll be honest- sometimes the laundry sits in the laundry room for quite a while before it's put away)
    It is a great investment in the future for the whole family- if he sees that it is very doable.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 5:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• im working online and going to school.. maybe this site will help you a little..

http://www.cashcrate.financial.officelive.com

theres about 10 different sites on there that i make money with... and you never spend a dime, dont worry LOL.
    MamaMakinMoney

Answer by MamaMakinMoney at 5:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• To mamamakinmoney I don't see how your advertisement is going to help her. She already has a full time job. If you would have read what she wrote. Guess I don't understand.
    Anonymous

• Go at night. I went after having my second child and had 2 more while in college. I managed to graduate with a 3.98GPA.  It can be done.  Study while he watches the baby.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I've only gone to school full time and worked part time with the kids. Can you do that?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I went at night and on the weekends along with a few online courses for my Bachelors Degree. I will finish my Masters in May which I have done completely online since I already work in the field that I am getting my Masters in. I have worked full time through all six years of college and and I have a husband and 4 children. My husband has been amazingly supportive and so have my children. Having close friends who understand what you are going through is also helpful. One thing to look into is taking the DANTES or CLEP exams. See if there are any subjects that you are pretty comfortable in. I was able to knock out a health class and 2 psychology classes by taking the exams. For my Bachelors degree I went to a University that catered to working adults. I earned 9 credits for my work experience since I already worked in the field. There are many ways to get college credit besides sitting in a classroom.

Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 1:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Does your college offer on line classes? Mine did. Not all of them but a few. I took a lot of hybrid classes. They were part on line and part on campus or part video. They were easy and I could do them when I had time.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 27, 2009