Question for Athiest moms.....

I am Athiest but i am raising my kids with the idea that religion is their choice. i teach them about all religions....even ones that no longer exist. my 5 year old has been coming home from school talking about how god made everything. her friends are telling her about god. im a little stumped at how to explain things to her. she is socially behind due to speach problems and im not sure that i can help her understand that this is an idea taught by religion. she isnt able to understand that there are many different religions and gods and she isnt able to understand the scientific look either. i would like to wait till shes older to explain certain things but her friends are explaining thier religous teachings now. should i ignore it? is there a good way to explain this to a 5 year old?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 1:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would call their parents and ask them if hey can refrain their child from teaching their beliefs to your child. You're her mother it's your job.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2012

• All you can do is explain the best you can that everyone believes different things. She can choose what she wants to believe, even at 5 years old. She'll understand more as she gets older.
    I mean, at that age, kids still believe in Santa and the Easter bunny so...
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 1:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2012

• lost- how would that work?
    parent "i just got a call from Little Susie's mom, here's a list of things you can't talk to her about".
    5 yo "i want to be a princess when i grow up"!
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2012

• I would respond to that by saying "no one really knows, but a lot of people think that. What we do know is..." and go into a scientific explanation of the formation of the universe, then end with "but many people believe that a god is responsible for starting that process."
    To put it another way, I don't talk down to my kid about this sort of thing, because she will have to figure out how she interprets the universe.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2012

• – collapse
    If you won't teach them the truth someone has too. Parents should be ashamed with themselves, telling their children lie and lie. Saying God and Jesus isn't real. If you ask me they shouldn't be parents at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2012 (hidden) + expand

• i would kind of ignore it..not much you can really do about it. i agree with swasson 100% about telling them thats not how everyone believes and there are many other beliefs. they will come into their own, just don't push. every now and then we will watch the history and discovery and it will bring us into deep conversations and debates but i never talk down to my son or try to tell him that god doesnt exist. if he wants to believe then that is perfectly fine with me.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2012

• oh anon, so your saying that only christians should be allowed to be parents???? a Budhist, or jew, or hindi, should not be allowed to procreate? its sad that that is what your children are being taught. my kids are taught morals. and that if their actions are morally right they will be rewarded in life. you teach that if they do as god says (your god says i should be killed for not believing) that they will be rewarded in the afterlife. go mom! .
    cassie_m

Comment by cassie_m (original poster) at 1:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2012

• @ Anon-Are we going to go into the whole your truth doesn't make it True issue again?
    Anonymous

• Anon that is silly... and the argument can be reversed...

Both my dh and i are.. i was not brought up that way i chose to be.. my parents rasied me to know i have a choice and my kids will have the same.. when they do ask why i don't believe i will give them my reason and tell them that they can believe in whatever they want...

religion doesn't make a parent lol
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 2:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2012

• I explained to my kids that different people believe different things. And that if they believed in God- that was ok
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2012