At my wits end!!

I have an 8 year old son who can be so sweet and helpful at times but sometimes I think he's gone mad! A lot of it is your average boy behavior but sometimes he'll tell me no to my face. Or he'll give me a smart ass answer when I'm trying to talk to him. He also keeps gettin in trouble at school. I've tried talking to him calmly, scolding, yelling, I even asked the school counselor to talk to him to see if I was missing something. She said he's a normal little boy but he's constantly getting in trouble! He also lies with the best of them. I tell him i'll always find out he's lying, which I do but he still does it. It scares me because I don't want this to continue when he's older and he could get into serious trouble. What do I do?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• girl nip that in the bud now. don't be afraid to pop him in the mouth next time he gets out of line. thats your child. you have to let him know that YOUR in control, your the adult not him.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 5:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I'm not saying his behavior is your fault by any means, but for some reason it doesn't sound like he respects you. Try spending some more alone time with him and talk to him, maybe something is bothering him at home or at school. Also, reward him for good behavior and try doing some more fun activities with him:) I have an eight year old too and this seems to work well for us.

Oh yeah, and I'm not saying take my advice, but please don't take kyheavensmom's advice. "don't be afraid to pop him in the mouth the next time he gets out of line" What the hell is wrong with you?-that will just make the situation worse.
    Anonymous

• Well I have a 4 year old boy who was like this but worse. We tried everything under the sun & it was like we were constantly & I mean constantly getting on to him. We started a counseling session and come to find out he is bi-polar. However he is worse than what you are describing. Some of the techniques they told us to try before they found out what was wrong with him is 1. Praise him for the stuff he does right - if he does anything right then praise him - make a chart with stickers or whatever and after so many then take him for a treat or something. 2. Don't always holler - even though that is very hard b/c you are so frustrated you still have to try your hardest to talk to him in a calm voice - when he knows he has made you mad then he has accomplished his goal. If he doesn't think he is doing anything then eventually he will stop doing it. Good luck with it & I hope it gets better.
    momwifelove

Answer by momwifelove at 12:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• anonymous I agree with what you wrote but the same time your child need to know that no matter how he feels you DO NOT disrespect your parents. Obvioulsy talking isn't working and I don't see nothing wrong woth spanking ass if my child act likes he wants to get out of line. Don't get me wrong, I don't just go around apanking my kids for every little thing I do talk and disipline in other ways(time out, taking special toys away) but it doesn't work all the time and I be damned if Im going to let let something I brung into the world disrespet me.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 2:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Just have a police officer come to your home and talk to him. Maybe he can put some fear into him and tell whats going to happen if he don't behave.

Maybe you can put him in the big brother program maybe they can help him out. Even if he does have male figure in his life sometimes a total stranger can help alot.
    lesliekaym27

Answer by lesliekaym27 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• When you find out your son has lied to you, what do you do? If the answer is nothing, then that is why he continues to do it! If there are no consequences to his bad behavior, then what's the big deal (he's thinking)?

You need to find an appropriate punishment that "fits the crime," and be CONSISTENT! I would start with the loss of preferred privileges...less play time/TV/video game time, earlier bed time, etc., and then on to having to do less than desirable chores around the house.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2009