Do babies sleep more when they are sick?

My newborn (about 3 1.2 wks old) has a cold and a stuffy nose (me and my hubby both have the same awful cold, so it couldn't be prevented). She's had it for about 2 days, and both days she has basically slept all day long, only waking up now and then to eat, and then passes back out. Like today. I got her to sleep last night about 12am, and she slept until about 9am (she sleeps through the night often though), woke up to eat, then went back to sleep about 1030. It's now 430 pm, and she still hasn't woke up for anything. I'm getting ready to wake her up, but what do you think? Do you think she's sleeping so much bc she's sick? Normally through the day, she doesn't sleep for more than 3-4 hrs at a time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its good I think that she is sleeping this much, it means she is fighting it off. A lot of babies like mine.....cant sleep when they are sick because they dont know how to handle being all stuffy. I would be more concearned if there was a fever and she was sleeping that much.....so keep checking for fever. As long as she is eating so that she doesnt dehydrate then she should be ok.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 6:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Do you sleep more when you are sick. Yes. No different with your baby.
    Anonymous

• I would say her body is probably trying to fight off the cold and that could be why she is sleeping so much. Just make sure she doesn't have a fever. I would say to call her doctor just to make sure though, they may want to see her.
    Disney_mommie

Answer by Disney_mommie at 5:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Ok. No, she isn't running a fever, it's just fine. Oh, but when she IS awake, I forgot to add that she is eating normally, or more than normal (probably from sleeping through meals).
    Anonymous

• Hey scoobersmom, have you tried using Little Noses saline drops for your baby when he/she gets stuffy? It's been helping my little girl LOTS!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2009