how can i make a cheep version of carpet cleaner?

i just borrowed a steam cleaner from a friend and was wondering if i could make a homemade version of cleaner to use in it for my carpets.

kimmy73

Asked by kimmy73 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• USE NO SOAP!!!

My husband would LOVE to be the one answering this - he's the expert - but here is what I know:

Soap is horrible for carpet cleaning. The ONLY thing you should use to prolong the life of the carpet is hot water (steam, obviously) and if you like a deoderizer in a seperate bottle that you can apply to the carpet before you steam it.

I know that the professionals use chemicals and soaps - but not like you'd think. My husband used to work for a carpet cleaning company and now he cleans our carpet himself about every 3 months. The soap will, over a few weeks, become sticky and gross in your carpet and dirt will start to stick to it causing it to be dirty again- faster.

Water - that's the trick. We buy pet carpet deoderizer from wal-mart because we have dogs and it works great!
    Katrinka_Renee

Answer by Katrinka_Renee at 5:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Well steam cleaning isn't the only way, and it can actually cause mildew, mold and bacteria to grow from your carpets being soaked and damp for so long. In our carpet cleaning business we use an encapsulation machine and chemical free cleaners. For at home use with a rental or home owned steam cleaner simple fill the machine with equal parts of white vinegar and warm water then follow the machines regular instructions. If you have any tough to get out stains make a paste with white vinegar, baking soda and water, put it on the stain, let it dry them vacuum!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• You know I put pinesol and warm water in the rented cleaner and it did fine without the over priced cleaner.
    summerray5

Answer by summerray5 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2009