is there anything i can do about cradle cap

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 5:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I thought cradle cap was dead skin on a babies scalp. I bathed my children daily and kept the scalp clean and soft.
    Anonymous

• gently massage a few drops of baby oil into their scalp just before (or during) bathtime. Let it soak a couple minutes. Use a soft clean toothbrush to very gently brush the area in a circular motion, then use a teeny bit of baby shampoo to wash out the oil...its OK (and preferable) to leave a little residue of the baby oil on the scalp.
    KateKevinAdopt

Answer by KateKevinAdopt at 5:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• and also...my son went through a stage where he had cradle cap, and I gave him a bath every day.
    KateKevinAdopt

Answer by KateKevinAdopt at 5:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Both my girls had cradle cap. With my first her dr. recommended using Nizoral Anti-Dandruff shampoo a couple times a week and that cleared it up quickly. With my second I used Gentle Naturals Cradle Cap Care and that worked well too. I'd rub the shampoo on their scalp in a circular motion with the washcloth or soft bristle brush. Here's a link to Gentle Naturals website where you can read about cradle cap: http://www.gentlenaturals.com/products/cradle_cap.cfm.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 5:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• aquaphor. worked great. just rub in on the head.
    Anonymous

• my pedi recommended dandruff shampoo, but I was always too terrified of getting it in the baby's eyes to actually try it
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Just a nod to the "old wives" remedies...(it worked for my older son!) take left over bacon grease (crisco works, but not as well) and rub it in their hair and on the scalp. Then use a baby comb (or a comb from a lice kit if you have one) and comb out. Then wash the scalp again or the dog will really looooove your baby's new smell. hahaha
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• baithing your baby every day can dry out their skin. Try baithing everyother day and before bath time rub baby oil on the baby's head. Then wash it off. It will be messy but will eventually loosen. Brugh the baby's hair, even if there's nothing really.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Do what your pediatrician says to do. Also, remember that you never saw a 30year old with cradle cap. It will go away.
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 10:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2009