Do you have a discount grocery store near you?

We have a couple near us here, but there is one less than a mile away. We like to go there and there are SO many good deals. I mentioned it to one of my friends and she was like "I will never go there, everything is about to expire." This is true for some items, but these are items that only last a couple weeks in most houses anyway, and they are a few months away from expiration. Most of the stuff I think is just surplus. Are you too good to shop in these places? Why be too prissy to save some money? I can't stand when people are like that, especially when she is pinching pennies from one paycheck to another . . . but she's WAY TOO GOOD to shop somewhere like that!

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Shopping

• I go there all the freaking time!!!! I love to bargain hunt, so the places near us are perfect for that. I usually get dry goods b/c they last longer, but I'm kinda if-y on the canned stuff. we've gotten some gross stuff at regular stores in cans, so I'm just skiddish about canned food...
    sophiebethmom

Answer by sophiebethmom at 5:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• There's an Aldis near us, but I don't care for it because some stuff I just want to buy name brand. Recently a Price Right opened, and I shop there pretty often. It's kinda like a Sav A Lot. You've gotta buy bags and all that. Honestly though, I get the most for my money at WalMart. The only other option here is Wegmans which is way too expensive sometimes (but they have a great bakery).
    Anonymous

• I am not too good to shop at these stores, but I do agree with your friend-a lot of the items in there are close to expiration or the boxes are all dented and look like they have been to hell and back. Our store is called Cheep Foods and there motto is "When dents make cents" so maybe we are talking about two different things.
    Anonymous

• Hmm, we have a Smart and Final, which is ok, and a "Grocery Outlet." If I lose my job I'll shop there, but not a day before that ! (That places smells funny!)
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• We have an Aldi near by. Some things are cheaper, but others are not. I also usually do most of my shopping at Wal-mart. Things pretty much even out. The stuff at Aldi's isn't about to expire. It's just their own brands that you don't find other places.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Ours is called Sharp Shopper and it doesn't smell and it's huge. The cans aren't dented, not most of them anyways. I am also leary about the stuff in cans, but so far everything has been fine. Usually, it's the cereal that is kind of close to expiration, but it's usually a few months away, so it would be stale anyway by that time if it lasted long here. Dh eats cereal for breakfast every morning. I love this place. We bought a box of 25 taquitos for $1.99 . . . a box of 48 Quaker Oats Granola bars for $2 . . . you can't beat these prices!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Aldis and Walmart for me.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I don't shop in those stores mainly because I like to feed my family organic food. I also make almost everything from scratch so I barely buy anything canned, frozen or boxed. But, if I did, I would totally shop there.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 6:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• When I cook dinner, I do mostly everything by scratch, but for easy snacks or cans of soup or frozen vegetables, rice, beans . . .. ours has a whole section of different rices, pastas, bagged dried spices, dry beans, it even has fresh vegetables . .. but we go to the farmers market for ours.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I have a Save Alot store just down the street. Their products are not dented or near expiration. I can't get all of my groceries there, but I like to go there for canned goods and other items that are cheaper than our local Kroger store. I've also shopped at Aldi, but it is a little bit further away so I don't go there that often. We are always popping in to Save Alot too when we forget something or run out of something.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2009