Since when did a five month old become impossible

I love my son to pieces yet he lately has become a bit of a brat really I know its weird to say of a five month old but really if he sees something he wants and I dont hand it to him he screams and kicks until I either hide it or move him so he cant see it, not only that but he has become a pain in the butt to change he is so squirmy I can barely get the dang diaper on him, then when I hold him still so I can put it on he screams and crys and pushes back, its driving me nuts, is this normal for a five almost six month old to do these things and if so what can I do to get him to maybe behave a little better

hautemama83

Asked by hautemama83 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-14 Credits)
  • Ha ha ha ! I remember my second son ! I had to change him by sitting on the floor, with a (bare) foot holding down each of his shoulders. Of course I said perky nursery rhymes and sang little songs, and made sure he had interesting things to play with. AND I got good at changing a diaper in no time flat ! Also, many moms told me about their ingenious methods for changing diapers while their baby was still moving about. so I think this is pretty normal.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• The other aspect - that of his trigger-happy frustration - is a VERY good thing to look at and to understand, because it is an important strength he has for developing his brain and body during the next 7 years. And if you misunderstand it, you could give yourself and him a lot of unnecessary grief.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• A baby is all Will-as in willpower. To handle his monumental tasks(learning EVERYTHING: to crawl, to be upright, to walk, what each thing he sees or hears IS, how to use his hands…), he HAS to have a powerful will. He has no control over this Will like we adults do. If his attention is caught by something, he truly NEEDS to grab it.This is how his brain is building its intelligence. As his mom, you want to help him do this ALL day long. Think of yourself as feeding his genius and his emotional health with your constant help. (As mom and preschool teacher I’ve known hundreds of children. Every child is a genius unless they are blocked by adults.) Sometimes it isn't safe for him to grab a thing. So you don't PREVENT him or snatch him away from the object of his focus. You introduce something more interesting and sneak the problem out of sight.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I try not to misunderstand it I totally get that its a good thing but I was just so unaware of the fact that they actually get ticked when he doesn't get his own way and its always simple things like for instance when he is sitting on my lap when I am on the computer he has a fit because I wont let him touch the keyboard, and the same goes for my cell phone and tv remote, (I guess he has a thing for objects with buttons lol) I try to just tell him "Matthew no thats mommys" or "thats not for you" in the nicest possible way
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• And the Will is a force independent of the child's self: she cannot control it any more than she can control her digestion.

Before the age of 3 or 4 the will-impulse is in command of the child’s actions. That's why it is laughable when you see a parent stringently adjuring a young child NOT to TOUCH! something. The more emphatically they press the child about it, the more strongly are they energizing that very gesture in the child’s Will.

Watch a little one reaching to do something they should not do. You can see that they are aware it is forbidden. And they are looking right at you as they reach. At this moment, how unfortunate to imagine that they are like an adult, in control of their hand or foot. I often hear with sadness ...(cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• ... a mother relating a "battle of wills" with her child: "… I was talking to my friend and he was looking right AT me when he did it! Just CHALLENGing me to stop him! I sharply told him NO! , but he DEFIED me and did it anyway. So I HAD to give him a spanking for it . . ."

Of COURSE he's looking right at her! He's under the compulsion of his baby-stage will, helpless to resist it. He is afraid of her anger, he is hoping for her help, but all he can do is look on while the will impulse carries itself out. Once the idea has caught his attention - perhaps it was something he saw someone do, or an object that attracted his eye - it has a life of its own. ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• To decide that he is setting himself up against her, trying to defy her . . . to view her child as an enemy combatant in that way … is sad. And it becomes tragic as the child grows up bereft of a mother who is supportive and happy with him. She distorts all her interactions with her child by adopting the attitude that he is opposing her.

If you haven't already come across it, check into attachment parenting - so many shared stories about happy family customs ... a happy child is rarely troublesome. I say this with confidence from my own three children, from years of working with children andespecially from my years of preschool teaching: we had NO punishment/time out policies - because we had no need to punish. We stayed ahead of the chlidren's needs and they were mostly happy.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• It's very important to understand the stages of develpment in babies. A five month old baby is not capable of being an intentional brat. It sounds like he is developing normally. I hope you see that his behaviors are normal and that he is learning about grasping and reaching for objects. Most little boys are going to be busy and active and don't like to lie still to have their diaper changed. Try to enjoy his babyhood and the different stages he will go through. Be proud that he is developing normally and enjoy playing with him. Spend as much time as possible with him and give him lots of attention. This will help him grow up to be indpendent and confident. I
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 7:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2009