My boyfriend has HPV how can this effect me?

I recently started seeing a new guy and he was upfront and honest about having HPV before we had sex (we still haven't). Things are starting to get serious and I want to take it to the next level but I am scared about getting HPV. With the proper usage of condoms what are the chances that I will get it? Can we have oral sex? Also if in the future we decide to have children what risks will this put me in?

I have researched it on the internet but it doesn't give me much information other than what it is, the percentage of the population that have it and what the symptoms are.

I have very strong feelings for this guy but am scared I will develop cancer from HPV, I know it sounds silly.

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• If you've already had unprotected sex with someone and they've had sex with someone before you--you probably already have it and don't even know it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• if your under 24 there is a HPV vaccination you can get to help protect you from it. Id be tested to though if you have had other partners because you may have it anyways and not know it.
    Anonymous

• It doesn't sound silly, sweetie!! Good for you for being concerned!! :) There are a bunch of different strands. Some of them even clear up on their own. The best way to go about this, is talk to your doctor. I had a strand of HPV that cleared up on its own. Didn't affect my DD at all. There are the types that cause genital warts, and cancer. So, you need to find out what kind he has so you know what types of prevention to take other than condoms. I'm not positive, but I don't think oral is a way to catch it. I might be wrong on that one. Good luck, hun. And congratulations on finding someone!!! ;)
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• not a silly question at all, please don't have sex with him or oral until you have spoken with someone with a medical degree... women on here are smart but unless they know your case specifics they cannot tell you for sure. please don't take the chance.

and Renee may be right, I have had three long-term partners in my life and still got HPV. fortunately i went for routine paps and they found it. even then my current pregnancy may have trouble later on if my cervix gets too short, on the bright side (because I wlasy look there) I have gotten many more ultrasounds of my baby because that;s the easy way to check cervix length
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 6:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Oral sex is NOT safe sex. Talk to your doctor or planned parenthood or the health dept and the quicker the better.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• There are several didn't HPV viruses. I want to say like 10 or so, I do immunizations at my job and we just had an in service on this and I really can't remember the exact number, but the Gradisil vaccine only protects against like 4 or 5 of them. If you do decide to have sex with him or anyone I would use protection whether it's oral or intercourse.
    Anonymous

• you could have it already without even knowing, and I would talk to your doc about getting the Guardisil vaccine. A lot of HPV's are harmless, others cause herpes, and others cause cancers. Find out thru networking with your OB and your BF what type he has.. and just be careful. HPV is running rampant thru girls of every age, race, income, etc....
    Personally I think they should be treating ALL GUYS for HPV.. they're the ones passing it! But try telling your OB, or any guy.. that.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My daughter went thru this being stupid at college. She ended up with the worst of the HPVs. She had surgury on her cervix to burn it out and is on watch every six months. The hpv she has can not be avoided by using condom s and it is also the most common one among young people. The hpv is spread skin to skin. In other words if you are laying naked with him and his scrotum rubs against your vagina it can be spread. Sorry so blunt but this is very serious stuff. My daughter is at high risk for cervical cancer now. Not worth it for a guy. You need to find out exactly what he has and how hes being treated and be very cautious before you make any decisions.
    desperateat48

Answer by desperateat48 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I got cervical cancer from HPV. It was before the commercials came out and it was never even explained that it was sexually transmitted. I had to have my cervix frozen... then when it returned I had to have the cancer cut out. It is nothing to mess with and you should definitely look into the vaccination. What a rare man to be honest like that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I respect him for being upfront and honest, you have to appreciate that. However, talk to your dr. about the vaccine, and obviously condoms are necessary. My sister has herpes, and was honest with her bf, and he is now her husband and is a loyal, honorable, decent man....It isnt the end all....Just protect yourself, but give him a chance....
    Alexmygirl

Answer by Alexmygirl at 3:52 AM on Jan. 31, 2009