How do I fight for custody and win?

I am going to try to get my divorce and I need to know the best way to keep my kids. My husband and I have not been together for over 5 years and i have had the kids. I am not sure were to send to papers and he has a new baby. He has told me that he is going to fight for custody. I need to know how to fight him without having to spend a ton of money I do not have a lot. My kids are all I have and I do not want to lose them. If anyone has any ideals please e-mail. He can ask his mom and have a lot of money to fight me so how do I fight this and win?

proundmotherof3

Asked by proundmotherof3 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• You will need a lawyer if your ex intends to fight. Most of the time they are all talk and give up and just say they want the kids to hurt you. Sometimes they do fight though. Just document everything you can, everything he says, does, every visit he comes to and every one he doesnt. Note everything the kids say and do like sending messages back and forth, coming home dirty etc. Any child support he pays if any stuff like that. And remember you have to live like a nun until the case is over.

Answer by gemgem at 6:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Like what all should I keep down and would that look like I am trying to the kids away? What should I do to show that I am the only one taking care of them?
    proundmotherof3

Answer by proundmotherof3 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• No, it wont look like you are trying to keep the kids away. You just need documentations of EVERYTHING he does. If he calls and is hateful record it. If he sends the kids home dirty, hurt, hungry...etc. write it down. If he picks up the kids write it down, if he doesnt write it down, if he's late picking up or dropping off write it down. Basically you want your lawyer to be able to look at your notes and be able to tell that you are the primary care giver and deserving of custody.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2009