I have trouble breastfeeding...

My newborn is fussy while I was trying to breastfeed her... She would latch-on and off and cries. I bottle fed her since she was one week old with my breast milk. I need your help! How do you fix it correctly?

She's 3 weeks old.

ProudMomma626

Asked by ProudMomma626 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would call your hospital and set up a meeting with a lactician to work on getting a proper latch. At this point, she may not take the boob. It is a lot harder for them to get milk out of the boob then the bottle, and she has already had that "luxury" for the past 3 weeks. Other than that, if you really want to keep trying on your own just be persistent. Try being topless and holding her most of the day, and only give her the boob. Good luck!
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 6:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I had this problem with my dd. Could you be too full for her. I had to express a little milk before I would nurse her to relieve the fullness that was causing the milk to flow to fast. Don't worry, you will eventually get her to accept the breast if you are persistant. My dd eventually accepted the breast. It took patience, here's a link for better answers than i can give
    http://www.llli.org/nb.html- if you copy and paste that link, they have great advice.
    lisamomfor3

Answer by lisamomfor3 at 6:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• If you have been giving her the bottle exclusively then she may have to learn how to latch on. She may also be getting frustrated that there isn't enough milk coming out...try to bfd her when your breasts are full. Seeing a lactation consultant would also help ease any anxieties or frustrations you may have. If you try everything and you can't get your dd to latch on you are still doing her wonders by pumping your milk. Keep up the good work- it WILL get easier!
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 6:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I had this issue with my son. I saw a lactation consultant and they told me to express a little milk to make the nipple easier for latching. I was also told to go home, take my shirt off (or use a button up shirt, but keep it open), put him in only a diaper and spend all of the day and the next day like that. I had to keep him to my chest and breastfeed exclusively. I was told that if he was getting too worked up to eat, then I could cup feed him a tiny bit...no bottles. Babies latch differently and "nurse" differently on bottles than breasts. They have to basically re-learn how to nurse on a breast. Milk flows faster from bottles with less effort so babies sometimes prefer it. Try to contact and meet with a consultant. Try to stick with it and good luck.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 9:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Great advise already! I've nursed all 5 of ours. I highly agree with the calling a lactation consultant and possibly being too full for her. Although she may be use to the bottle you CAN still nurse her from you. It may be simply nipple confusion.
    This might help it's about how to go from Bottle to Breast: http://groups.msn.com/Breastfeeding101/archives.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=2132&LastModified=4675448331020107852
    You're already a few steps ahead on that b/c you are still making milk. :-) Also try kellymom.com. She is a trained LC. There are tons of articles (look up nipple confusion) but she also has boards where you can ask questions. I've done it and she has answered my questions herself many times.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 12:04 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• You have to KEEP trying. Always offer her the breast first. Keep trying to get her to latch on for about 5 minutes... after that you can offer her the bottle if she's really fussing. Also, skin-to-skin contact will help soothe her and make her more comfortable with nursing. I had the same problem for a little while, but STICK with it b/c she WILL figure it out & you'll feel sooo good about it!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:41 AM on Jul. 21, 2008