Folliculitis?? Any one heard of this?? Have you had your child have this and how did you treat it??

I thought maybe a reaction or a weird yeast infection, but Dr. said Folliculitis! I looked it up and some of the pictures look like that is what it is, but she doesn't have hair on her butt!!! It just looks like a white head, until she scrathes it.. say it really itches. I don't know, I want to get a second opinion, but it says that this can cause Staph Infection... Cream is $50- but I have amoxicillin that I can give her for that.. I don't know, please let me know if you have ever heard of this or what you think! Thanks!! HELP!!

nanababymama

Asked by nanababymama at 6:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Health

• It's sort of an infection of the hair follicle, tiny hairs. Amoxicillin won't cure it. Can you dry it out? Put cornstarch on it. It's common, don't freak out. You can try different things. It's like shaving with an old razor and getting bumps, same thing. You could try a tiny bit of tea tree oil or maybe just Aveno. Ask the dermatologist or Pharmacist for over the counter things.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• was the amoxicillin prescriped for her for this condition? If not I would not give it to her. Not all antibiotics will kill every infection...meaning you have to match the right drug to the bug, so to speak
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• giving antibiotics when not needed or for the wrong bug will only cause your DD to build a restistance to the meds, meaning when it is needed to kill a bacteria it will not work, she will need to take it longer, or will need a stronger antibiotic to rid her body of the infection.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2009