Any pet ideas for a two-year old?

I don't want any large pets since my son is only two.

Diamond2010

Asked by Diamond2010 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2012 in Pets

• How about a gold fish
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:23 AM on May. 1, 2012

• Whatever it is, do not expect him to be able to care for it himself. I know a lot of people that get pets for little kids and expect them to care for it themselves and they just can't handle the responsibility. My daughter is 3 and we have numerous family pets. I have two horses, three dogs, two cats, a sheep and a tank full of fish. The fish are just hers but I sometimes have to help her remember to feed them. Fish are great easy pets for little kids but if he wants something he can cuddle, try a hamster. If you are looking for something for the family, try a small dog, like a beagle or a jack russel or maybe a cat. My daughter enjoys helping to care for our animals.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 9:17 AM on May. 1, 2012

• It depends on how you view the pet. Is it your "son's pet" or is it the family pet? Who is going to be responsible for the pet? Where will the pet stay?

When I was two, my parents bought a puppy. She was not "my" dog, she was "our" dog. I was not left alone with her at that age. The dog was selected for temperament and size. DH and I already owned a dog when our kids were born. The dog was never left alone with the kids. She and our children were taught how to interact. Our dog passed away when my kids were 4 and 2. We held off getting a new dog until they were both old enough to take on more care responsibility. Our current pet, a golden retriever, joined our family almost 2 years ago. The kids were 8 and "almost 6" at the time.

Owning a puppy is a LOT of work. Puppies nip until taught otherwise. They make big messes. They chew - a lot. They get up at night too. :) a lot at first.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:22 PM on May. 1, 2012

• That said, in addition to the family dog we already had, both my kids had their own beta fish when they were about 2 years old. They 'helped' me feed the fish - as in, I would put the proper amount of food in their palm and they'd drop it into the tank. They would talk to their fish. They would stare at their fish. I would clean the tank. The tank stayed up out of each reach. The kids were taught what was and was not acceptable with their pet. Pet ownership is a great way to learn responsibility - and it's also a great way to find comfort and entertainment.

As a kid I also had a hamster. It bit me and it ran away. A lot. We had a cat too. I don't remember much about the cat. I'm now allergic to them so we don't even consider looking for one today.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:28 PM on May. 1, 2012