what to do for an infant with really bad dry skin

my daughter has horriable dry skin on face and forehead. we've tried putting aveeno baby hypoallegenic unscented intense mositure cream on it and its not helping..is there anything i can do besides wait it out?

madelyns_mom08

Asked by madelyns_mom08 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• with my first the doc told me to use vaseline
    Have3Girls114

Answer by Have3Girls114 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• You could try giving her fewer baths for awhile. Wipe her down if she's dirty and then put on the lotion or baby oil. The water can dry skin out.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• You can try Eucerin baby product called Aquaphor. The ointment and wash worked well for my daughter. My Pedi recommended it.
    kaosgirly8403

Answer by kaosgirly8403 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Vaseline. According to our pedi derm, Aquaphor is just a pricier version of Vaseline.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• AQUAPHOR!!!! i always havea tub oh this on me at all times.its great on babies dry skin,its great on razor burns,its like duck tape it can fix anything!
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 12:17 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i would stay away from anything with petroleum in it, including glycerin. it can be irritating to baby's skin and the petroleum can seep into the skin...
    i use medela lanolin advanced nipple therapy on my DD's dry skin. lanolin is the oils taken from sheep's wool and is very good for human skin because it's very much like our own oils. this specific brand of lanolin also has beta-glucan in it, which promotes healing. it's awesome!! it works really well on my DD--her skin clears up after just one app, and i put it on during every diaper change for the first couple of days until it stays cleared up then AM and PM after that. I get mine at target in the breastfeeding accessories baby section.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 1:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• What's really worked on my son's dry skin is breaking a vitamin E capsule and applying the oil to the dry skin areas. A few treatments and the dryness is gone. Don't bathe her daily. Put a humidifier in her room and run it 24/7. That's what has worked for me.
    Galinash

Answer by Galinash at 7:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2009