Birth Control

What are the pros and cons to the birth control shot? A friend of mine just got the Depo. The only thing I've ever used is the pill. If at all possible I would like to get away from it. I've heard about Mirena but I dont know how good any of these work. I'd like to know about the different types of birth control you use and what the pros and cons are to them.

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 7:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have used both the pill and the depo shot in the past. The depo shot made me gain 30 pounds within a few months that was very hard to lose years later. I know many women with the same issue. The periods I did ever get were minimal, my body just felt "wrong". The pill was okay, if you can do it perfectly, more power to you, but I was not good at taking it on time every day. I tried the lower hormone one with even more accuracy needed daily, and got pregnant with my third son. My Dh got a vasectomy so that was awesome for me. I am affected easily emotionally by any hormone. My best recommendation is regular BC pills. Like, ortho tri cyclen or the like. I didnt get pregnant for 6 years as I wanted, and once I got off when we were TTC, I got pregnant that next month. Even when I didnt take the pill on time, every day, I never had a surprise pregnancy. If you have to have it, its one of the safest methods.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 7:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i used the birth control shot here are some pros-only get it once every three months, no periods, its works for me cons are: i missed a shot and got pregnate but since i didnt have periods i didnt know i was already pregnate, my conception date was 3 days after my missed shot was due, it can take calcium from your bones
    im switching birth control and right now im not on one. im having these weird issues that i dont know if they are because im coming off the shot or maybe im pregnate. i still havent had a period and my shot was due 1-1-09. my breasts have been sore and i have had shooting pains in them, very emotional, and im leaking something from my breasts. i dont know if its because of the shot and im not saying that these things will happen to you. let me know if you have any more questions and i will try my best to answer them.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I was on Depo for 2 years. I didn't start to gain weight until I stopped nursing my son, then I gained about 30 pounds like Kirstan above stated. I didn't HAVE a period on the shot, I did have occasional minor spotting, but nothing even approaching a period.

One drawback to the shot if you want to have additional children is it takes an average of 6 to 12 months after you STOP the shot before your menstrual cycle resumes it's normal function. The shot actually blocks ovulation so it CAN interfere with your hormones and cause your libido to drop. I've known people who did the Mirena who had the device dislodge and who got pregnant before they had it removed. I've known people who didn't have it slip as well, but they removed theirs because friends (the same women I knew) were experiencing it slipping/becoming dislodged. Talk to your GYN about the risks and benefits of ALL birth control options.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I didn't like the shot it never did stop my periods and I was on it for over a year it just made them irregular and sometime they were heavy sometimes not so much. The pill I would forget to take every so often and spot so they weren't good for me. I also did the patch but they made me feel sick a lot so I had to stop that one. Can't do much with constantly feeling like I was going to puke. The marina I have now and have had it for 2 years. I don't even think about it anymore because I don't feel it and it really doesn't effect me much at all. I have a period like once in a blue moon. When I do have one it is only like 3 days and it is only spotting. Out of all the bc I have been on I like this one the best.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I was taking ortho try cylcen until i started having really sharp pains in my abdomen that would make me fall to the floor. We did a sonogram and found out that i had a 3 inch cyst on my ovary. With the ortho try cyclen it kept on bursting and coming back. I would fall to the floor atleast once a week from it. I wanted to just remove the cyst but I figured it would be cheaper to try to change my BC. My doctor put me on Seasonale (the generic brand of it) and that completely got rid of my cyst, atleast I've only felt it burst once in the last 9 months. I was only supposed to have a period once every 3 months. In the middle of my last pack something messed up and I started having a period. Then I got sick for 2 1/2 weeks at the end of the same pack which made me think I was preg. I was 5 days late for my period. I took a test Saturday and found out I'm not preg. I want to try something different.
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 9:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2009