I can't get my 7 1/2mo old to eat or drink anything else, but breast milk. HELP!!!

My son is 71/2mo old. I was told my his pediatrician not to start jar food till he turned 6mo. I thought I was being a good mom by breast feeding my child, he never took to the bottle or a pacifier, he just didn't want anything to do with any of those things. I am now having trouble getting him to eat or even drink any water. Any suggestions??

70slikchik

Asked by 70slikchik at 7:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You baby needs NOTHING but breastmilk for the first year. Babies don't need water and solid food is just for practice. YOU ARE doing whats best for your son. Keep up the great work mama!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 7:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Good news - your son is getting everything he needs from your breast milk - you have no need to worry about solid food!

Do a google search for 'Baby led weaning' - starting solids the right way - at your baby's own pace.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 7:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• It's fine. Really all babies need for the first year is formula or breastmilk so your baby still has a few more months before you really need to start foods. Navywife was actually right and relevant for once.
    Anonymous

• MOST babies are developmentally ready for solids somewhere between 6 and 8 months. Some babies thrive on breastmilk alone until 12 months or later as long as your baby is continuing to gain weight and grow as he should, your milk is meeting his needs well.

Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.

Listen to your baby! Babies with a tendency to allergies may refuse solids until later in their first year. As long as they are growing well and are happy and healthy, there is no need for concern.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i agree with the other moms... they say that the earliest you can give solid is 6 months.. but most babies don't raelly even start solids until about 8 to 9 months... when he's ready he'll start taking stuff, plus it usually takes a couple of weeks until they even know how to swallow the food... my baby wouldn't take a bottle or a pacifier either, and i've just started trying to add rice cereal in between feedings, sometimes he takes a little, sometimes just spits it out... but i only really started him on it to get him a little used to the idea.... but i hope things get easier for you... good luck!
    sweetmama8

Answer by sweetmama8 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i agree with the other moms here...your baby is doing just fine. just keep trying to offer bits of solids for practice, but don't worry about nutrition--he's getting all he needs from you!
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 27, 2009