Do you miss drawn animation?

I am not quite sure the correct terminology but I am not a big fan on the computer animation in so many new cartoons. Am I the only on that dislikes it?

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 9:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2012 in Entertainment

• I miss the good ol' day cartoons too! Loved the Luney Toons, Flinestones, Smurfs, Peanuts -- all those older actually DRAWN cartoons!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 6:51 PM on May. 6, 2012

• I miss it, but I don't like much of what's out now anyway, because it's made so cheaply. If you compare a drawn cartoon from the 40's to one made today, there are about 5 frames in the old ones for each 1 in the new. Where the entire body moved in old ones, now just the mouth and maybe an arm move at one time. They don't have the depth they were intended to have, so in that respect, the CGI is more visually interesting.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2012

• Tom and Jerry had a sweetness to them.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2012

• I think you are right feralxat there was something sweet and niceabout the rounded edges and drawn pictures. These are certainly more realistic but that is not why I watch animation. I kind of want to see more of things that are only in ones imagination.
    Melbornj

Comment by Melbornj (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2012

• I grew up watching all hand drawn animations. I remember when the Final Fantasy movie came out, it was SUCH a big deal and a "technological breakthrough" for CGI or computer generated image(s). Now, it's closer to hand drawn (I'm thinking Cars and Wall-E), but it's still not the same.

I very much miss the "old school" hand drawn animation.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2012

• yes i hate how computer animation looks i really miss how get drawn stuff looks
    xHeiligx

Answer by xHeiligx at 6:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• I definitely miss hand drawn cartoons. I do some CGI stuff myself but it's a very different look and feel and I think both have their place in the cartoon/entertainment industry but in cartoons/movies it's the latest fad. Once you have a character designed it can be quite easy to design a set of movements that can be reused again and again so it can become easier to create a sequence but that often seems to take away from the quality of the show... although I have plenty of opinions on the lack of quality in children's current programming. Theres no morals, no real story, it's all just the same storyline regurgitated 100 times with less and less tact and artistic elements. I prefer my kids watch cartoons from the 50s-80s after that they really became about selling a product with the show being the advertisement (actually that really took off in the 80s but they still had better shows to push the product then nowadays).
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 4:24 AM on May. 3, 2012