The final nail in the coffin for Beliefnet

After one of its senior editors wrote and published a slanderous, steaming pile of horsecrap blaming paganism and Harry Potter books for the witch killing in Africa and Europe, people protested. Rather than apologize and retract the piece, all the editor would say was "sorry some people didn't agree".

As a result, Gus diZerega is talking about leaving beliefnet altogether.  He'll still have his patheos column and personal site.  I remember us discussing here when beliefnet was first sold to an evangelical company, and wondering if it would be its death knell.  Looks like it is.

Has anyone actually visited it much lately?  I saw someone started another belief-o-matic post recently, but it was the first I'd seen it mentioned here in a long time.  It used to be the main source for the articles discussed in this section.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nope, havent gone to it in a couple of years. Sorry it went into the crapper, it used to be a really calming place.
    LadyLotus3

Answer by LadyLotus3 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2012

• frankly I have not. Its content has seemed to deteriorate which is reather sad.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2012

• I haven't been to it since it was sold to the evangelical company. Any time the belief-o-matic pops up I merely use my results from before the sell-out and copy them over.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2012

• Oh, wow, no, I haven't been on in forever. The results I posted the other day were results I had saved. I hadn't been paying attention at all to what was going on over there. Shame, because I used to enjoy it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2012

• I'm not sure I've ever been to the site, but it sounds pretty much like the pseudo apology given by the sponsers and the JEA/NSPA groups for Dan Savage after he turned an anti-bullying speech into a 'bash the Christians/call them names' fest (these were teens, not adults).

People are entitled to their opinions, even when they suck. That goes for all people, not just the ones that happen to agree with 'you'. The level of tolerance is going down ... pretty much starting to nosedive in fact ... and I don't see things getting any better any time soon. Regardless of how I feel about the whole mess, and regardless of how many times I say it (and get dv for daring to mention it), the Christians around the world are getting fed up with 'meek' getting mistaken for 'weak'. More and more are starting to slap back instead of turning even one cheek. Both sides are wrong but my opinion isn't going to change things.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2012

• i went on once since the buy-out...it was maddening. all the pieces i looked at had an off slant...like a "can i really trust this?" vibe. how did an evangelical company buy it...or did the owners just cave to $$?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2012

• how did an evangelical company buy it

iirc, it was simply a case if highest bidder
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2012

• I saw that...their standards have declined alot, I noticed...

s'ok, Patheos is better anyhow, in some ways
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 3:43 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I left a long time ago when they changed. If you weren't a fundamentalist then you weren't felt to be welcomed. Anything that wasn't main stream Protestant was hidden. The exchange between the different religious factions was derailed at every turn of the conversation. You had people going onto boards that were for just that faith going in posting about how evil every one who had this belief was and we were all going to hell. Gee sound familiar?
    daps

Answer by daps at 7:09 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I haven't been on there in years
    AllUNeedIsLove2

Answer by AllUNeedIsLove2 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2012