What's in a name?

So I've noticed alot of blog posts bashing names that are popular right now, but other blog posts bashing names that are unique and different. Is anyone else annoyed that for some reason bloggers and critics think they can poke fun of and vent about YOUR child's name that you've chosen for possibly tradtional or family reasons? And it can't be popular (sorry Avas, Jacksons and Aidens) but it can't be too unique (Sorry Dorians, Willows and Siobhans) I'm all for name freedom...how about you? Just ranting :)

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 27, 2012 in Baby Names

• I'm not a big NAMES person. Actually it's not the name that makes a person, but rather who that person is. When I got pregnant the first time, Ashley was a HUGE name. Almost every girl in my daughter's class was an Ashley. I used it as a middle name. There are some names that are just far out there though and I really do feel bad for the child... but it's your child.. name him what you want!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2012

• The only names I really object to re ones that the child suffers for.

I had a friend who married badly ( her words) when she delivered a daughter instead of a son the father wanted to name her Twat.
    I wonder how many others have names that they are ashamed of or get into fights over?

Unique spellings make it hard on the child IMO as well but they can learn it, though it may take a bit of extra time.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2012

• well, here's the thing: it doesn't matter what you name your kid. you picked it, he/she is stuck with it..until they can legally change it.
    point is, people can always find something to bash.
    for one, your sn is my little sis's name..and for several months now, she has been on my craplist.
    *shrugs*
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2012

• Thanks! Well I do think names are a big deal but it just bothers me how rude some people can be by tearing apart other people's kids names! I agree, there are some names I'm not fond of, or names I feel like are used very often, but it's not my kid and therefore I don't need to analyze, critque and tear it apart :)
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2012

• dullscissors, LOL that hilarious! Well I guess we know you definiltey won't name any of your kids me and your lil sis's name :) Thanks for keeping the bashing alive I suppose we need it to keep some of the positivity and happiness at bay :)
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2012

• And yes I believe Dardenella, your friend's situation is definitely a special circumstance :) That's like abuse....lol. Withtin reason of course!
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2012

• My first son was named after his dad, Shannon, the next one was named Shane, no reason other than my husband at the time though it went well with the older boys name. he wanted our daughter to be named Shanna, he said it went well with the boys names. I named her after my mother and my step mother, he hated my mother so much, he tore up the BC and told me if I wanted to take her home, I'd name her something else. Thus she became Becky (I don't even know where I came up with the name, it's not a family name). I didn't name her Rebecca, because I knew everybody would call her Becky for short. so what do people do, they call her Rebecca even though her name is Becky. My second daughter was named after my MIL and my mother (her middle name) and my third son was named after his grand father. (different husband for the last two.)
    RuthieJo1947

Answer by RuthieJo1947 at 1:32 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I believe that people are free to name their kids whatever they want. I usually keep my thoughts to myself unless they ask my opinion. Thankfully when the child is older and the name is horrible, they can change it.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:04 PM on May. 11, 2012

• If you are brave enough to name your child something crazy, you had better be prepared to hear just how crazy
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:06 PM on May. 11, 2012

• My son's name isn't common but it's not a unique name, either. I thought about how a teacher will have to try to pronounce it at the beginning of the year for roll call or how it will sound to an auditorium full of people at a college graduation ceremony. I don't want there to be a guessing game as to how it's pronounced.
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 5:53 PM on May. 12, 2012