what is your feeling on earrings for tween boys?

My son is 12 and for his bday during the summer he came home with an earring...we were going on a vacation...I was upset when I seen it...I threat to cancel the vacation...I asked why he did it and he said he didnt do it his stepmom did....he said his father agreed...I called the dad and told him I was gonna take it off...his dad said no and that he was gonna turn around and pick him up...I had the talk about the age, how different people think an earring makes an statement...we got to the point ... the dad and stepmom said ok to take it off ...I told my son that when he turns 18 he can do whatever he wants with his body...but recently he came to visit and his earlobe was red...he said he scratched it...I think hes trying to get the earring on...see we are Puertoricans...and on his dad side they go with all the "buzz" from the island...my son even wanted to get his eyebrows done...I dont approve none of that...Im old school!

feelingthekicks

Asked by feelingthekicks at 7:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• On any degree I think it should be an agreement made with all parents and child involved, in your case it sounds like you're not ready for it and therefore both your son and his father/step-mom needs to acknowledge and respect that.

For me, I haven't a problem with it, times have changed and boys with long hair, pierced ears or otherwise aren't looked as poorly as they used to, but again this is my viewpoint and I also think the reasons behind it shouldn't be to keep up with peers or impress others.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 9:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i dont like it.. its buggs me!! i was brought up to believe that earings are for girls.. not boys!!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I'm old school too....NOT until he is 18! Then its officially HIS body. lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I'm not a fan.
    Anonymous

• iagree with you. absolutly no earrings. yes once he is 18 he can do what he wants. but under that its your rules. you are mom
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 7:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Another vote for old-school, unadorned male earlobes.
    cam.i.am

Answer by cam.i.am at 7:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• No.
    Ive already told DH that wont be allowed until they are at least 16 or older(if they end up wanting one).
    I would be especially apt to take it out of their ear if they did it without my permission(especially when they are underage).
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 7:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• for me its not until 18 i think it'll be if he's living in my house he still cant have them because i'll have to see it! and he better take it off when he comes over.
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My son got one, just one when he was 5, he wanted it. I think it looks fine on him. It looks trashy on some boys though. I guess he's lucky he can pull just about anything off. He's also the boy who gets blonde streaks in his dark brown hair. I figure, if hair color and ear piercings are the only things I have to worry about... We've done a damn good job with him. I think it's great that he is comfortable with himself and his own sense of style. I think kids should be allowed to be individuals. Our Daughter is 6 and has hers pierced too (she asked) and she has purple streaks in her hair. Way to be your own person I say!!!
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 7:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Tell him to be himself don't be like everyone else. the earring thing some people look ok with them but some look awful like it doesn't fit. Back in the day earrings on a guy was considered gay but time has changed and now every one wants one or two. Stick to your guns girl don't give in to this at least not on your time watch. Like you said wait til he's 18 hopefully by then he will grow up and realize what was I thinking. Don't give up...just keep reminding him your feelings on all this. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2009