Does your child know how to contact 911 and tell name and address if needed? How old are they?

I saw a news report about the 10 year old that lived in the house with his dead mother for a week b/c he didnt know what was wrong. He just said she "wouldnt wake up"

So I began to question my 5 year old on what he would do if I wouldnt wake up or fell and hit my head.

He sort of knew....but I want to practice it some more....if something happened to me, he would be the one in charge. It makes me feel good to know that he would be able to contact someone for help.

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 7:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• They are 9 and 6 years old and they know 911, my cell phone number, their dad's cell number and their address. They have known all of those since age 5.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 8:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• mine are 11,9,7,5 they have known since they were 6. My 11 yr pld knows to take charge if somthing happens.
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My 4 year old knows 911, his name and address.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I have been scared of something like that happening ever since that woman died when the 911 operators hung up on her son a couple years ago. They told him he would get in trouble for playing with the phone when he called 911 to tell them his mother fell down and wouldn't get up. (She'd had a heart attack, and she died before help arrived.) It seems like teaching them their names, parent's name, address, phone number and how to call 911 isn't enough anymore. My son's birthday is in October, so he was almost 6 when he started kindergarden, and I made sure he knew all that before he went. (He's 26 now...)
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• my daughter is 2, she'll be 3 in april and knows her name and address. She hasn't grasped the consept of 911 yet, (we tried but its just not working) but she does know if there's a big problem with mommy to take the cell phone and push the send button, it's always set to my parents or my best friend and she is to tell them that mommy is sick and needs help. This pregnancy i have gestational diabetes and even before it was diagnosed, i was having blood sugar issues and would almost pass out and at that point we figured we had to do something incase i did end up passing out or something.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 8:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• my 3 yr old knows his street and he lives in belton
    Anonymous