Funding the space program?

Ok, I expect some people to hate me here with this question but...

Considering the state of our economy right now, should we really be spending as much as we are on say NASA?

I am NOT saying we should cut funding for watching to make sure we don't get surprised by an asteroid but what about the shuttle missions? Should we be funding for satellites and trips to the moon and Mars given the deficeit we have?

Personally, I say ground NASA for awhile. Research to colonize Mars or the moon is a little silly to me when we can't even keep jobs for people in this country.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree! I think we have studied enough of outer space for the time being! Every time some multi-BILLION dollar aircraft or gizmo crashes or explodes, I can't help thinking, how many people in the US could have benefited from that money?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• You have to remember though, by saying ground NASA, you are putting alot of people out of jobs as well. So in return kinda going against your own statement.
    Anonymous

• ORRRRRRRR, we could just stop giving federal money to international groups that perform abortions or provide abortion information, and keep exploring space and come out about the same ;)
    Anonymous

• The advancaes in science, medicine and technology are worth the money spent. I would be down for an audit, make sure we aren't still buying $400 plastic ice cream scoops but the program is important and grounding it would put many, many people out of work.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 8:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I agree with the OP.

http://www.space-travel.com/reports/NASA_Unveils_New_Budget_Request_For_2009_999.html

$17.6 BILLION!!!

"The NASA budget includes $5.78 billion for the space shuttle and space station programs, $4.44 billion for science, $3.5 billion for development of new manned spacecraft systems and $447 million for aeronautics research." (from the article above)

momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• "In Earth science, NASA's investments in measuring the forces and effects of climate change are allowing policymakers and the public to better understand its implications to our home planet," Dale said.

A recently completed decadal survey for Earth science includes views of the scientific community that will help the agency set priorities for new missions to add to humanity's knowledge of Earth and its climate and ecosystems. NASA will dedicate $910 million during the next five years to develop new missions to add to our Earth-observing fleet of spacecraft.

The budget also includes funding for lunar science to further scientific understanding of the moon and for planetary science and astrophysics to continue exploring worlds beyond Earth and to study dark energy and other mysteries of the cosmos.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• "The development of space simply cannot be 'all government all the time,' " Dale said. "NASA's budget for FY 2009 provides $173 million for entrepreneurs - from big companies or small ones - to develop commercial transport capabilities to support the International Space Station. NASA is designating $500 million toward the development of this commercial space capability.

"With over $2.6 billion in NASA funds available over the next five years to purchase cargo and crew services to support ISS operations, we would much rather be using this money to purchase cargo and crew services from American commercial companies than foreign entities," she added.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Sorry, it's not the whole article.

I don't think the advances are worth the cost. We should be putting more into research here on the planet.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• OP here, thanks Lorikeet and momof3
    Anonymous

• I am going to have to agree with Friday.My uncle works at NASA as do alot of other people I know(I live right by NASA in Houston).There are alot of people who work there that has nothing to do with going in to space and exploring space.Plus they do alot for medical and hospitals which is very important.So I say fund them and maybe cut stuff that is not as important.There are alot of other programs that can probably just get done with altogether.Not sure which ones but there probably are some.
    Anonymous