Anyone else see this?

http://specials.msn.com/a-list/news/steven-thorpe-brain-dead-popular-pages

Sorry, I'm not at all good at making things clicky. Anyway its about a teen who was declared brain-dead by 4 doctors. They wanted to harvest organs but parents called in yet another doctor. The teen survived.
I've seen a few stories like this over the years and it really makes me question organ donation.....

Thoughts?

meriana

Asked by meriana at 9:55 AM on Apr. 28, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• This is really an incomplete story. Speaking as nurse with extensive experience with trauma and donor patients, there is no way he could have been declared brain dead while he was in a chemically induced coma, as the article indicates. There are a number of criteria that must be met in order to be declared brain dead, and true brain death is irreversible.

It sounds like what likely happened in this young man's case is that he'd suffered a severe traumatic brain injury which was expected to progress to brain death or leave him severely disabled, and it was recommended he be removed from life support. They chose not to, which was their right, and things turned out surprisingly well. More often, in my experience, they don't.

Articles like this bother me. They're often sensationalistic and make it sound like doctors are killing people for their organs. Ugh.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• These cases are rare, that's why they're news. It's unfortunate that it happened, and thank goodness for a happy ending. But it also creates doubts for the very important organ donation process. More people need to consider organ donation, not doubt it. When my cousin was killed by a drunk driver 21 yrs ago, my aunt's last selfless act on his behalf was making sure others waiting on the donor list got their happy ending! :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• Don't question organ donors, question doctors, they are not gods, they are human and they don't know everything!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• For those people who have families and friends who need an organ transplant it is very important. At the end of the day it is the families choice to have organs donated. My dad passed away while waiting for a transplant and so all of my family knows my wishes to be an organ donor and to not keep me on life support if something terrible was to happen.
    lah0027

Answer by lah0027 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I agree with katiemomNY.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 11:04 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• In many countries, due to the reticence of people to allow organ harvesting of a dead loved one, the difficulty of asking permission from someone who is grieving, and the need for speed if these organs are to save a life, they are allowed to remove organs unless specifically asked not to (this includes the deceased carrying a card that specifically refuses).
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 11:50 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• wait survived but did they have a life? or were they just in a bed breathing? cause if that were me I would say take my organs.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I read a true story a few years back about a patient who had been declared brain-dead...they had him in the the O.R. to begin organ harvesting and a nurse noticed a finger move....the patient survived. I'm sure it's very rare but it does make me wonder if they don't sometimes jump the gun so to speak what with the need for speed, as winterglow mentioned. There are times when a small movement is made and the doctors almost always say its the nervous system shutting down or something like that but I wonder if that is always really the case.

I'm one that doesn't have a lot of faith in doctors, as JackieGirl said, they are human and make mistakes. Doctors tend not to like me much either....I ask too many questions and a lot of them would prefer people just take their word as gospel. Good thing I rarely have to deal with them...LOL.
    meriana

Comment by meriana (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• wait survived but did they have a life? or were they just in a bed breathing? cause if that were me I would say take my organs Answer by booklover545
    -------------------------
    Survived with NO ill effects whatsoever...lead a totally normal life. The story was in Readers Digest, I believe and wasn't sensationalized in any way. I've read things like that a few times and like I said, it really makes me wonder.....................
    meriana

Comment by meriana (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2012